This has to be one of the strangest bugs I've ever encountered and after spending more than one hour on it I couldn't fix it.
I simply no longer can install new custom stories! They won't appear at all on my "custom story" list on the main menu. Everything was working fine a few months ago, the only thing I did was simply not playing Amnesia for a while (I haven't reinstalled windows, a ghost image, or anything like that).
The problem is I am now unable to play beta versions of custom stories in which I am providing voice acting to check if my dialogs are working well.
Here is what I did so far:
1) Downloaded a custom story and unzipped it in the "custom_stories" folder.
2) Launched Amnesia and realized that the custom story does not appear on the "custom story" menu, but the older one are still there, oddly enough.
3) Repeated 1) again.
4) After seeing that the custom story was still not there, I tried to launch an old custom story that was installed months ago: it worked perfectly.
5) Tried downloading and using the "Amnesia custom story installer", an attempt that was met with an epic failure since I simply can't launch the program and keep receiving the message "Error: Please [Create a custom Story before trying to create an installer". The weird thing is that a little document appears on my desktop when the message is on screen (and the default program to open that document is...Audacity. Go figure).
6) Uninstalled and reinstalled Amnesia after removing everything that was in the "Amnesia" folder, but the problem persisted. I didn't erase my profile, so maybe it came from there.
7) I tried installing another custom story: maybe the custom story I was trying to install wasn't working properly...The second custom story I tried to install didn't work either: it's not on the main menu.
8) I erased my profiles, created a new one, launched the game and still no custom stories to be found on the main menu.
9) By erasing my profile I removed Justine, so I downloaded the patch, installed it an unzipped all the custom stories again. Nothing in the main menu.
While I uninstall and reinstall the game once more, any ideas on what I should do?
EDIT: Problem "solved"...Note the quotes, it's because the way in which I managed to have those custom stories working was rather "odd".
After uninstalling/reinstalling I downloaded 7zip, in case it was winrar that was bugging. Still, the custom stories were not working. Then I realized that in Amnesia>redit there was a custom_stories folder...Normally I never installed anything there: I would create the custom_stories in the main Amnesia folder and put everything there, and that's how it's been working for months. Still, I gave it a try and using 7zip unzipped one of the custom stories in the redit>custom_stories folder. I launched Amnesia: the story wasn't showing on the list.
Ok, what if I install it also in the Amnesia>custom_stories folder? I tried the operation, launched the game, and then the custom story was appearing on the list! O_O
I repeated the same operation with a second custom story, this time using winrar: it didn't work.
I did it again with 7zip, and...It worked: now both custom stories are showing up in the main menu.
I should be happy everything is "back to normal", still: how is it I have to go through such a strange ordeal to have custom stories working while before I simply needed to unzip them in Amnesia>custom_stories?