RE: [DEMO] Amnesia: The Great Work - Chapter 1 and 2
Some comments on Demo version. Not to criticize, but to help...
1. It was unpleasant and strange when I could brake one door with a stone. And I could not brake another one, that was visually the same. It's better to make breakable and unbreakable doors visually different. Explains like a "here is a weak lock" or a "these wooden planks are old" or anything of that sort could not satisfy, only a simple visual difference would really satisfy.
2. At the room with a secret door there's no candles or torches at all. It's not about that it's hard to orient in the dark. It's about the believability of the environment, there should be at least burn-out candles or torches.
1. Tiny detail. There's no torches at all at the first very short "round" corridor, that is just right after a little "garden". The same with the little corridor in between the mechanical door and the door, that leads to Cells.
2. The door closed shut behind me was an unexpected and quite frightening event. But it was first what came to mind that the monster will open it for me. And that's what happened. Something less expected could be nicer. For example, just for example, as a player I already know that I can brake the doors. It could be better if I could just break another one door by myself without any monsters.
1. Same as always. There's no torches or candles at the area with the cells. And once again it's not about the darkness, you could place just an empty torch-holders.
1. Same. In the corridors there's nearly no torches or torch-holders.
Infected Cells Map.
1. It's normal to run from the slime-shadow when you're entering the level for the first time. But if you died and that respawned, it nearly incredible to be faster than the slime-shadow, the chasing becomes unreasonably hardcore.
Infected Study Map. No comments.
There's a "key_to_laboratory" entity is missing. I mean on the map itself in Level Editor. Ingame nothing happens after the "dia_2", no key appears. I had to manually add some lines directly into a save-file to achieve it and be able to go to the foyer.
That quest with the distraction of a monster in a hall. It's unbelievable that the only useful distraction is not any sound, but exactly the fall of the statue. I mean even if you would write down that I have to make a REAL LOT of noise to distract the monster, nevertheless it will be unbelievable situation itself.
There at the Chapter Two also were some places, where realistically there should be torch-holders or candle-holders, whatever, but there was nothing to mark that at the better times the place was normally lit-up.
Some appearances of the servants were predictable.
In particular in the corridor of the foyer just near the entrance to private study (returning) was predictable.
And much earlier when you're returning to the private study with those chemicals ready and there's a servant appears just in front of the closed door to the... how to call it? hmm... just in front of the closed door to the inner rooms of the study. The appearance of the servant at bedrooms was just perfect, I was scared to shit. So there's no need to spawn another one a few seconds later. Let me just get the key and enter the foyer without any monsters. It would work like taking a breath.
That's just details. In general the story is interesting and intrigue develops really nice. No complaints at all. And as long as the storyline is the main thing in any game - everything is truly impressive with the Great Work. Interesting unusual puzzles, I liked them ALL without any exception. Some were harder, some easier, but in general that part of gameplay left only good emotions. So generally the Great Work conversion (or a Custom Story?) is already feels like a BIG FUCKING WIN.
By the way. There are going to be new monsters. But I have not seen any custom models, I mean static objects and interactive ones. Is it just because it's a demo? Because if there would be new monsters you just have to invest some time on making new models, textures, decals, etc.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2012 02:36 AM by Alex Ros.)