Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Overture Pt 1 Workshop - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Penumbra: Overture, Black Plague & Requiem (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Hints, help and spoilers (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Overture Pt 1 Workshop (/thread-5660.html)

Pages: 1 2

Overture Pt 1 Workshop - vlsaggerson - 12-10-2010

I am playing Overture Pt 1 and am in the Workshop Room using a Walkthrough
I have downloaded from Frictional Games and I am told to grab the
COTTON STRING from the box on the shelf, I am using the crosshair with my mouse but it won´t change to the hand to let me collect the COTTON STRING
no matter what I do, is it a fault with the game or do you have any suggesions, I am very frustrated as I am unable to blow the barrel up and get out to the next area... I have only just bought this Penumbra Collection in the last month and I am running Windows 7 thanks vlsaggerson

RE: Overture Pt 1 Workshop - jens - 12-10-2010

It's a problem when you use a walkthrough and know things that makes you expect something you otherwise would not know about. You'll need to find the book of explosives in the office which is a room located to the left from where you first entered the mine, then when you have that and have the receipt for a fuse you can pick the string.

RE: Overture Pt 1 Workshop - vlsaggerson - 12-13-2010

(12-10-2010, 02:58 PM)jens Wrote: It's a problem when you use a walkthrough and know things that makes you expect something you otherwise would not know about. You'll need to find the book of explosives in the office which is a room located to the left from where you first entered the mine, then when you have that and have the receipt for a fuse you can pick the string.

worked perfectly - Jens - thanks a lot ....vlsaggerson

RE: Overture Pt 1 Workshop - xiphirx - 12-13-2010

What is the point of a walkthrough? I mean honestly. I would REALLY love to hear a logical answer.

RE: Overture Pt 1 Workshop - Oscar House - 12-13-2010

(12-13-2010, 08:21 PM)xiphirx Wrote: What is the point of a walkthrough? I mean honestly. I would REALLY love to hear a logical answer.

For when you're stuck? Or is that not a logical answer?

(12-13-2010, 09:43 PM)Oscar House Wrote:
(12-13-2010, 08:21 PM)xiphirx Wrote: What is the point of a walkthrough? I mean honestly. I would REALLY love to hear a logical answer.

For when you're stuck? Or is that not a logical answer?

If you're stuck, then you either didn't read things in the game, or pay attention. If you did both, then you could just ask a question in the games community site (like this one).

RE: Overture Pt 1 Workshop - Oscar House - 12-13-2010

What's the difference between asking on a forum and checking from a walkthrough?
As far as I can tell, both provide you the solution that you for some reason or another missed.

(12-13-2010, 09:54 PM)Oscar House Wrote: What's the difference between asking on a forum and checking from a walkthrough?
As far as I can tell, both provide you the solution that you for some reason or another missed.

Asking on the forum only gets you the information you need

A walkthrough will almost always spoil it for you. You'll be reading and you will most likely want to continue.

RE: Overture Pt 1 Workshop - hollowleviathan - 12-14-2010

Reading a walkthrough witha modicum of self-control will get you only the information you need. It's not an inferior method, just a different one.
Asking on a forum takes time, reading a walkthrough is instant. If you trust yourself that little, you can always have someone else read the walkthrough for you.

RE: Overture Pt 1 Workshop - xiphirx - 12-14-2010

(12-14-2010, 08:54 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: Reading a walkthrough witha modicum of self-control will get you only the information you need. It's not an inferior method, just a different one.
Asking on a forum takes time, reading a walkthrough is instant. If you trust yourself that little, you can always have someone else read the walkthrough for you.

I suppose, but I just hate it when I see some idiot grab a game along with the walkthrough in stores. Seriously, they're already anticipating that they'll be stuck. Plus, there are much better free ones available online.

I'm getting too off-topic, sorry.