Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Game will not launch?? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-57.html)
+--- Forum: Technical Support - Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: Game will not launch?? (/thread-8803.html)

Pages: 1 2

Game will not launch?? - ZeeK - 06-26-2011

I am having trouble with Amnesia launching, happened last night and continues to not launch since then.
I closed it, came back later to play some more and after multiple tries on trying to get it to launch it would not work. I don't even get the main screen/pop-up before the game starts. I'v uninstalled and reinstalled twice and that did nothing. Pretty much tried everything I could think of to try and get it to launch and nothing will seem fix my problem.

My computer was playing it absolutely fine up until this problem I had happen last night.

RE: Game will not launch?? - Synatic - 06-26-2011

this sounds totally wrong o.o if you played before and reinstalled there should not be a driver problem, try lowering the graphics, closing anything that might bother and ultimately observe the running processes in task manager, might help somehow if u see something getting to the top besides amnesia, at a certain level of progressing windows starts forcing programms to shut down... im not a professional on this area, but that'd be stuff i'd check on :X (paranoia of the SASSER worm i had about 6 month... lol)

also is it the steam version? it might just be downloading(ive expierienced some strange happenings with language settings in the past days), eventhough steam would be showing a window...

RE: Game will not launch?? - ZeeK - 06-26-2011

When attempting to launch the game everything is closed and nothing is going crazy in the task manager.

It is the retail copy of the game I got Wednesday.

Essentially whats not happening is when I go to open the game to play it absolutely nothing happens. The launcher screen with the General, Graphic/Sound and Launch game etc. buttons does not come up at all.
When I go to where its all installed on my computer everything seems to be there from what I can tell.

Sucks that this happened right near the end of the game too!

RE: Game will not launch?? - plutomaniac - 06-26-2011

What did you do before this happened? You must have done something to cause it if previously it was working just fine. Attach us here the file HPL.log found under Documents\Amnesia\Main folder. Also, what operating system do you have, what laptop/desktop (model may help as well) and what graphics card?

(06-26-2011, 10:44 AM)plutomaniac Wrote: What did you do before this happened? You must have done something to cause it if previously it was working just fine. Attach us here the file HPL.log found under Documents\Amnesia\Main folder. Also, what operating system do you have, what laptop/desktop (model may help as well) and what graphics card?
Before it happened, Played the game normally. Saved and Exited the game. Came back later and accidentally opened Amnesia instead of Firefox and for some reason my mouse got stuck in the top right of my screen so I had to open task manager to close Amnesia. Continued with what I was doing then went to finish off the game and this is when it wouldn't launch. Could it have been a problem in closing it with task manager?

Windows Vista 32-bit
Acer Aspire M1201
ATI Radeon HD 3450 graphics
3GB of Ram
AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 2.50GHz

The game was running really good and smooth.

No, from my experience Task Manager should not have to do with it. Are you using the retail or the steam version? If using the steam version make sure to restart your computer and check file integrity through the program itself. If using the retail go to the games folder and try running Amnesia.exe directly. See if that works. Are you sure this is the correct HPL.log? It is very incomplete.

(06-26-2011, 05:14 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: No, from my experience Task Manager should not have to do with it. Are you using the retail or the steam version? If using the steam version make sure to restart your computer and check file integrity through the program itself. If using the retail go to the games folder and try running Amnesia.exe directly. See if that works. Are you sure this is the correct HPL.log? It is very incomplete.

It is the Retail version of the game.

If I try to load the Amnesia.exe I get "Error! Could not load main init file: config/main_init.cfg" . Putting this in search doesn't find the file. So somehow I may be missing that? but even after 2 re-installs from the disc its not showing up?

And that is the only hpl file that shows up under documents besides hpl_update

Do not press the button Open, double-click the application.

(06-26-2011, 05:36 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: Do not press the button Open, double-click the application.

Same thing is popping up when I double click

can you attach me here the file main_init.cfg that is said to cause the problem? Try running the game as administrator by the way