Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.31 Average
The Electric Castle Demo
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10
RE: The Electric Castle Demo

(05-10-2011, 08:58 PM)Solarn Wrote: This was kind of horrible, in my opinion. When I load up a custom story, I expect to be actually able to, you know, DO SOMETHING instead of watching through a 10-minute cut scene with the slightest illusion of control and no clue what anything's about.

I understand that it was just a demo, however I advise you to only release demos with actual gameplay in them for the public in the future.

Actually these feedbacks/opinions are what I really want. And I completely know about the problem of this being not too much of an gameplay, but more like walking forward and watching what's happening. And actually I almost hate puzzles in amnesia myself so its no suprise there wont be any in the actual release.
I will try to implement more stuff into the intro so even people who have already seen the demo one could actually watch it... But thats when I release the actual story, and that might take a WHILE
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2011, 05:57 AM by Khyrpa.)
05-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Find
bobbo Offline

Threads: 1

(05-11-2011, 05:56 AM)Khyrpa Wrote: Actually these feedbacks/opinions are what I really want.

I totally agree on the positive feedback about the effects when passing out and during the great fisheye scene!

But I also agree on the negative feedback about the too long scenes in between. During the intro I was wondering when I would finally be able to move and kept trying after each bit of the narration. Maybe you could either shorten the breaks between the narration so the player knows it's not over yet or give him a more interesting view to look at instead of the stone wall.

Then, when I was able to move, it was a bit frustrating that it was only in slow motion - and only to crawl to the next position where a new break down occurs. If this should be the real beginning of the final story and will not be filled with more gameplay in between, I would suggest to make it a bit faster by changing the slow motion for the normal pace.

Finally, I was confused by the multiple enemies scene, too. When I died and respawned one step closer to the castle I actually thought this was a bug and not the intended way to move on. Maybe you could exchange the death message there with something more clear, like "The powers of the castle can lead you to believe everything, even that you are dying..." or something. Just some line that makes clear: You thought you died and did it wrong, but actually this was the right thing to happen, move on now. I think that trying to confuse the player in the actual gameplay scene is a good idea, but the confusion has to be resolved afterwards.
05-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

(05-11-2011, 10:16 AM)bobbo Wrote: Finally, I was confused by the multiple enemies scene, too. When I died and respawned one step closer to the castle I actually thought this was a bug and not the intended way to move on. Maybe you could exchange the death message there with something more clear, like "The powers of the castle can lead you to believe everything, even that you are dying..." or something. Just some line that makes clear: You thought you died and did it wrong, but actually this was the right thing to happen, move on now. I think that trying to confuse the player in the actual gameplay scene is a good idea, but the confusion has to be resolved afterwards.
Haha. Yeah I somehow thought when people breathe in green gasses in wierd places and pass out, they wouldn't think they actually die when hallucinating on acids or something. But I agree it can be confusing. And i don't know of a way to dodge the checkpoint hint text either (if someone knows then post it somewhere ofc)
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2011, 01:28 PM by Khyrpa.)
05-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Find
bobbo Offline

Threads: 1

(05-11-2011, 01:27 PM)Khyrpa Wrote: Haha. Yeah I somehow thought when people breathe in green gasses in wierd places and pass out, they wouldn't think they actually die when hallucinating on acids or something.

Oh - thinking this way it totally makes sense. I didn't think of it as a hallucination but a "teleport" to a quest that has to be completed in order to proceed. Blush
05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Find
Puriel Offline

Threads: 0

That was the most original, interesting, and one of the most awsome CC's yet. Please, please please continue this.

Now onto the feedback.
Spoiler below!
While I DO think the beginning was a little long I don't think there's much to be done there as it sets up the game. On some of the hallucinations I wasn't sure what some of the objectives were. And while I didn't die in any of them and I did manage to make my way out, it always seemed to be at random.

In the maze I was looking for a door or an exit while avoiding grunts and after I reached one corridor it faded out. Maybe have the person look for a glowing exit rune on the floor they need to step on or something? (just thoughts).

And the angel statue I solved (if you can call it that) by picking up the skull behind it and chucking it aside.

The corridor where all the grunts start breaking through was just simply win, no complaints there.
But overall I have to give it a 10/10. Most CC's don't do this for me but yours has actually left me craving for its completion.
05-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

Not bad but kinda too boring at the start :/ why is he sooo sloooooooooooooooow? even a snail is faster then the player :/

but it was not all bad... liked very much the scares and the eviormment in the levels... goood luck for the final version!
05-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Website Find
skypeskype Offline

Threads: 6

Im preety sure this is only like the intro of the custom story.
05-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Website Find
waqas12346 Offline

Threads: 38

Khyrpa, I played your Custom story and I really enjoyed, especially when those doors are banging and I have to run Big Grin. Anyway I recorded and uploaded your story, It's in my thread now Smile.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2011, 07:12 PM by waqas12346.)
05-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Website Find
Khyrpa Offline

(05-13-2011, 07:11 PM)waqas12346 Wrote: Khyrpa, I played your Custom story and I really enjoyed, especially when those doors are banging and I have to run Big Grin. Anyway I recorded and uploaded your story, It's in my thread now Smile.

You played it just like it was supposed to! Though you didn't have the justine model :u
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2011, 07:52 PM by Khyrpa.)
05-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Find
waqas12346 Offline

Threads: 38

(05-13-2011, 07:52 PM)Khyrpa Wrote:
(05-13-2011, 07:11 PM)waqas12346 Wrote: Khyrpa, I played your Custom story and I really enjoyed, especially when those doors are banging and I have to run Big Grin. Anyway I recorded and uploaded your story, It's in my thread now Smile.

You played it just like it was supposed to! Though you didn't have the justine model :u

Yes, I'm so sorry about that Sad
05-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Website Find