Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Suggestion: New "Monster Event" Ideas?
xxalucard Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Suggestion: New "Monster Event" Ideas?

Quote:May I have permission to use your ideas?

I will add your name in the credits and on the thread!
of course, anyone could (and hopefully will) use any/all my ideas, you don't have to ask Blush

i appreciate the responses-- and i guess i might have over-stated the "closet safe room" issue, my point mainly had to do with being able to be completely safe somewhere (besides an intended new area).

i also had a few more thoughts on monsters:

5. I liked the invisible "water lurker" monster, but jumping on crates or other things (to stay out of the water) got kind of tedious. I could also just stand on a random crate and know the monster couldn't touch me, as well as make a run for a really far away crate or door and outrun the monster half the time. I know he was only in one or two small sections, but I hope it's redone in the next game.

-- For example, there was a custom story I played where there was a harmless -normal- (if you can call it that) "invisible monster" that followed you around on ground level. You could see it's footsteps with little clouds of dust on the ground. It would be cool if some type of "invisible following" monster was implemented that could actually hurt you, and you went back and forth between hallucinating hearing footsteps behind you and the monster really being there behind you. Just like what cantremember said-->

Quote:

Also hallucinations and sound effects should be random. In Amnesia it's
easy to tell a monster sound you hear is just an effect because there is
no monster-is-searching-for-you music playing, and they happen at the
same spots everytime if you replay the game. It would be better if you
have no idea if it's your mind playing tricks due to low sanity or if
it's a real monster (that would add more tension and also add an extra
incentive to actually try to stay in the light and keep your sanity
high)
6. Also with what Chrysler said -->
Quote: You picked up a drill and almost instantly heard a grunt coming your
way. The easiest solution probably would be to implement a small (but
variable) delay after you pick something up or enter a zone where
something happens.
the whole "pick up a key item and get attacked by a monster" became relatively predictable-- hopefully that's done away with and either a variable delay (like he said) or some sort of insanity spike instead of just a monster attack. I'm sure there's other better alternatives out there too, I'd just like to see more variation.

7. When you exit and re-enter an area in the main game, the monster is almost always gone. I did it myself to de-spawn a monster right when it appeared further ahead in the area (I just walked out the door to the beginning and went back in to re-load the area). Either you should disable the load-doors behind you, or change the scripting somehow to account for this-- it can be really abused (and sometimes I did it thinking I had to backtrack, not just to abuse it.) I understand that "some people can play abusing things and some people can play 'legit'"...but it would be nice to just make it so no one can really abuse anything-- or at least try to make it that way.

8. More insanity effects and punishment. There was almost no fear of losing sanity in darkness in the main game, save for when an enemy is nearby and you're about to pass out. Your vision gets fuzzy and the controls get a little sluggish and annoying...but that's it. There should be more things like in the game "Eternal Darkness," where you can imagine entire strange events or the environment begins to change. You should also have difficulty figuring out what's real or what's not, like monster sounds and chase music, or perhaps imagined doors that go nowhere (when trying to find the real door out, maybe when running from a real monster, etc). I think the whole insanity feature is greatly under-appreciated and can be used a lot better and with more depth.

that's all for now, and thanks for the replies and other good ideas and stuff Smile

03-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Suggestion: New "Monster Event" Ideas? - by xxalucard - 03-14-2012, 05:59 PM