Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Graphics and physics engines, wich offer what i want?
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Graphics and physics engines, wich offer what i want?

I had heard of unreal engine 4, i just didnt expect much from it, as many games engines are made for console now, i expected the usual "next gen Engine" that had nice effects, but, a dog slow Frame Rate and enough Jaggies to re-sink the titanic due to the hopelessly outdated console technology most "next gen engines" have been designed for (xbox 360 for example is six years out of date!) . i was also kind of biased against unreal engine anyway due to the Ludicrous price epic are still asking for the business version of Unreal 3 despite the fact it is miles out of date, i am not going to give away 25% of the profits to epic, or anyone else, because i want to pile the profits into developing a Sequal game. so i wasnt considering unreal 4 at all as i Assumed Incorrectly that it would be little more than UR3 with a new coat of paint, rather like FOX engine is just the MGS4 engine with a few new whistles and is very dissapointing given all the hype.

That was until that video at least. it seems i have made my Usual mistake of "jumping the cannon" about the engine. now i am seriously interested in the UR4 engine, as, unlike nearly every other next gen engine, its been designed for PC so has Anti Alaising and A Blistering frame rate by default with the gameplay i want by default as well as it is the preference of PC players (at least, according to my market research). i am just waiting for epic to start putting prices about so i can see how it compares to using a slightly older engine with upgrades.

don't worry about sounding condescending, i will admit myself my post looked like i hadn't heard of the engine, wich is ultra strange! thats like having a formula one driver who hasnt heard of paddleshifters. i had heard of UR4, i just wasnt considering it until now. now i know it does Everything i want and even has the Gameplay i want programmed in as default so my team wont need to modify the code much, i am Seriously giving it some thaught!

Seeing as it is a new IP and i've only got a potential Maximum budget of $4,000,000 (About £2.8 mil) due to its niche nature (and that is going to take one Gutsy publisher to give that much) and i want to spend no less than 80% of the budget on the Campaign, i am not going to have too much money to splash on the graphics. but i know i am going to need a seriously impressive engine because i know that if i want Decent sales (and who doesnt want decent sales?), ive got to use a HD engine with all the latest graphical tricks, because PC games sell on there graphics.

So, if the price is right, UR4 is certainly the engine i am going to use, if it isnt right, and a modified CE3 would be cheaper, then ill use that instead, because i am going to be on a very tight budget, as even the maximum one is very small, and the one i expect to get will probably be half of the max at best, and as im not fussed about graphics and am more concerned with gameplay, and am only looking for a powerfull engine in order to help the game sell well, i am not willing to blow more than 10% of the budget on the graphics engine, so price of engine is going to play a very big role for game one, of course, for game 2, if i sell enough to get a sequal opportunity, ill have a much bigger budget and will be able to just go for the best engine there is without worrying about price.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2012, 09:31 PM by the dark side.)
10-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Graphics and physics engines, wich offer what i want? - by the dark side - 10-04-2012, 08:11 PM