Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Indie dev talks about horror, guns and Amnesia.
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
RE: Indie dev talks about horror, guns and Amnesia.

(10-17-2012, 04:17 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(10-17-2012, 01:36 PM)Nemet Robert Wrote:
(10-16-2012, 02:03 AM)Pl4ub Wrote: Cryostasis anyone?! But cool stuff from one guy.
I was kind of reminded of that game. Played it some time ago, and loved every minute.
In my opinion the game is incredibly boring (somewhat pretentious too) and there is a huge difficulty spike towards the end making it extremely unbalanced. The only thing I loved was the "mental echo" concept. These parts were very, very well done and are the only reason to play the game in my opinion. It has other redeeming factors like the graphics, the atmosphere and the sniper duels but this game would have been far better without combat. They needed more mental echo parts (especially interesting and challenging ones) and a more interesting story. Having pictures with a woman telling some fairy tale every now and then does not count as story (these parts were so pointless - I just don't understand why they are in the game). It was a good idea though.
Cryostasis has one of the greatest stories and greatest storytelling methods in gaming. The fable was a narrative parallel to the story that the game told about the disaster, the captain's decisions, the mutiny and the crew's health. Every single thing you do has some symbolic significance to the plot--the enemies you fight, the heat you collect as health, the time travel sequences/puzzles and so on--and this exceedingly complex manner of expression for a story that's, as far as I'm concerned, second to one is what makes the game worth playing. Even though it's an extremely vanilla shooter as far as gameplay is concerned.

I don't think Tower22's going to be all that similar, though, apart from how Russian themed and mindblowingly gorgeous it is. It's shaping up to sound like an actual survival horror.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2012, 04:43 PM by Sexbad.)
10-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Website Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Indie dev talks about horror, guns and Amnesia. - by Sexbad - 10-17-2012, 04:39 PM