Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

A little request to developers on endings
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: A little request to developers on endings

Nothing wrong with your English, I'm not a native speaker either.

Yeah, there is a chance that an altering might have covered a few more wishes, but at what point that could be fulfilled? Either developers will ask end-users opinion on an unfinished game, or they will change it after release. Neither of them does make sense.

If you were a developer, what would you do?
For example, a lot of people complained how White Night's end didn't make sense. However, many other people claimed that ending was perfect and none other ending could fulfill the mod's potential. After a little research, I realized that people complaining about ending missed lots of notes and flashbacks, thus didn't understand the story at all. So, how should I have proceeded? Alter the ending of a finished and released product? Or release it without an ending and ask people how they would like it?

Fact is, one never can satisfy everyone. And no one would throw away satisfied ones for the sake of unsatisfied ones.

For your second paragraph, no, you just can't justify that. Of course players could and I think should express their thoughts, I believe that's what makes games better. However, after Amnesia release, there were tons of threads how "Amnesia should've co op!!!111" and none of the posters had the basic game design knowledge, furthermore bumping the responsibility to Frictional Games' shoulders with a "if done right" phrase. It was their very own opinion, which would completely ruin the Amnesia and prevent it to become the success it is today.

You are basically talking on a chance, that could make the game better or worse. For a released game, that doesn't make any change for it is already finished. Maybe all suggestions can be taken into consideration for future games, but making a generalization like "ending should have an eye-catchy CGI treat" is just a bad idea. Again, I talk about Penumbra. Three words with white font over a black screen. A perfect ending. A CGI ending would completely ruin it and I probably would never have ended up here. Yes, maybe it would satisfy a few players, but in exchange of a huge fan-base.

Your call.

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2011, 02:21 PM by Tanshaydar.)
11-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Website Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: A little request to developers on endings - by Tanshaydar - 11-13-2011, 02:18 PM