The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open-ended discussion on creation and design
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13
Open-ended discussion on creation and design

Yo, what's up guys.

I'm creating this thread because I'd like to see an open-ended discussion on anything design related (because this isn't in like an Offtopic forum, keep it to Amnesia custom story design). Everyone has a different opinion on things, and I'd like to see how these different opinions impact design decisions and map design.

You can pretty much talk about anything you'd like here (regarding map design, techniques, storytelling, etc.), but I'll start off.

In my mind, I think the base Amnesia game is one of the best games ever created. The atmosphere, the storytelling, the horror, it's all done superbly. The scares are unexpected, the levels are designed with accessibility in mind, but still rewarding exploration. I could ramble on about how much I love the base game, but let's get carried away.

When I design my maps, I try to keep the base game in mind, and design my maps so that they could realistically be inserted into the main game and someone wouldn't know the difference. I honestly don't tolerate sloppy maps. I think some of you know what I mean. I believe the term is "Pewdiepie" maps? Tongue Sorry, I'm new here but I've seen that term used derogatorily here...and I have to agree, I've seen them, haha...

Anyway, you've got to use fog and lighting to the maximum effect. Players should feel uneasy when moving through the map. They should be compelled to explore what you built and experiment with stuff, but feeling unsafe when doing so. Players should not be compelled to simply rush through the maps and get to the goal. I see a lot of custom stories just littered with key puzzles...why? I know key puzzles are the easiest to code/solve, but they are also mindless. And boring, may I add. One of my design goals when constructing my maps is to add interesting puzzles that require the player to think to solve. It's a challenge to both design, code, and solve, but I think it's more rewarding in the long run.

I also don't subscribe to the theory of jump scares. They end up looking cheaply made and if not done with some sort of backstory, then it comes off as meaningless and immersion-breaking. Random monster spawns that are unexplained break the immersion completely, and make the map a joke. In my opinion, of course. And, if they're not scripted correctly, can be very jarring and boring to experience.

This is just a few of my thoughts. I have a few others, but I'd like to hear your opinions as well. How should a good custom story be designed? What kind of things tick you off, or really make you happy to see in a custom story? There are so many topics, you should not feel compelled to simply respond to things I said in this OP.

04-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Open-ended discussion on creation and design - by Putmalk - 04-04-2012, 03:47 PM