Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open-ended discussion on creation and design
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Open-ended discussion on creation and design

A good idea, perhaps more suited to the 'Articles' area but still.

Personally, responding to what you wrote about the base game, I think Penumbra and Amnesia are fantastic games but mostly for the engine, for how the physical interaction aids immersion. They are both superbly well created games...

For me, however, they are prohibitively scary. I've played horror games before, and to TDD's benefit and detriment, it is definately the scariest. I can't shake the feeling that it's all happening to me, which goes to show how well they've done it. I managed about 5 hours of Penumbra, not even 2 in Amnesia. I've honestly spent more time testing my own maps than playing the base game, I am sad to say (please don't kick me out!).

I wanted to explore the maps in Amnesia honestly I did, and to discover the story, but I just can't handle it. What I want to see, and indeed am working on creating, is a map not at all focused on horror. Maybe I've picked the wrong audiance but this engine is number 1 when it comes to immersion, principaly because of the physical interaction.

This engine has such potential for something far beyond horror. Don't get me wrong, I think what you guys in the community have been adding to the horror of this game is great. White Night, Deterioration and Through the Portal are some I've played that really stand out, excellent creative use of the tools, and all of them were pretty damn terrifying. I also don't want to seem like I don't respect horror as being great, I really do, its just not for me.

I don't think people should work on something other than horror, but I'd love to see what else is possible. I'm developing an FC to try to figure out if an environment can be detailed enough, a narrative fascinating enough and the atmosphere strong enough to hold a player in the experience without scaring them, without forcing them through a linear path, and without putting immersion breaking puzzles in the way of their exploration.
I don't want a player to feel uneasy when exploring, they should feel inquisitive and feel that their natural curiosity is benefitting them, not leading them to an early heart attack. Puzzles should reward a player if completed, but not stop them from progressing and exploring until they are completed.

Whilst I concur with what you say about jump scares, you may be entitled to say 'well duh' based on my inability to deal with horror! When done well they can be very very effective for players that like that sort of thing. Its pretty much a 'stop here' point for me in a story, where I realise I don't have to put myself through that sort of thing!

Of course, enjoyment of any game is always subjective, and any comment on what should or should not be used MUST always be said in the context of other people enjoying different things. I don't like horror a great deal, but I love powerful narratives and atmosphere which is what drew me to Penumbra and consequently Amnesia. Everything said above about what I think is best, what should and shouldn't be done, is just for me and players like me. I would expect almost everyone else on this forum to not be in the same position, and to consequently disagree, so take what I've said with appropriate levels of salt depending on your personal likes and dislikes
04-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Open-ended discussion on creation and design - by Adrianis - 04-04-2012, 05:18 PM