Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open-ended discussion on creation and design
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: Open-ended discussion on creation and design

In relation to previous posts, I'll say what I think about gaming, as with all other forms of art:

There are two ways to play a product: playing it, and analyzing it.

Playing it is the way we go for entertainment, we try not to pay too much attention to the technical qualities of the game unless they really stand out/bother us. We just try to go along, and enjoy the whole thing, and suspend our disbelief as much as we can.

Analyzing a game is when you break it down in terms of merit, both artistic, and technical. This is mainly the path you have to take if you're aiming to make you review of a game as in-depth as possible. The power of analyzing a game is further strengthened if one understands the fundamentals of how the actual game in question works, like how we do with Amnesia. With this knowledge we can break the game down even further, even to the point of seeing all in game events as lines of codes, and entitycollide areas.

It should go without saying that playing a game is more fun than analyzing it. However to improve one's skills in making games, while both ways work to some extent, analyzing with reap the best results for the eager minds.

Also, I think that once one has the proper knowledge about a game engine, the act of analyzing will become a bit of a sub-conscious act, a bit like what Adrianis said about the illusion of NPC AI being broken. I still believe that even if you reach this stage you can still have the proper fun with a game if you are willing to suppress your analyzing impulse, and just go ahead, and have fun with the game. Of course, the quality of the AI in question is also important. There's a point in gaming when it just reaches the point where it's just unacceptable.

Not that saying analyzing is bad, sometimes it's proper to suspend your disbelief to have fun, and that's one of the core aspects of gaming, just as important as story-telling.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012, 04:06 PM by Kreekakon.)
04-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Open-ended discussion on creation and design - by Kreekakon - 04-05-2012, 04:04 PM