Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open-ended discussion on creation and design
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Open-ended discussion on creation and design

(04-05-2012, 04:27 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(04-05-2012, 04:23 PM)SilentStriker Wrote: You can actually make a NPC if you are good enough to model a npc and can animate and script well then there is not much to stop you from having an NPC in the game Smile
I'd agree that it's very possible to have NPCs in Amnesia. The problem I think at hand is whether or not they can be done well enough to further enhance the overall experience rather than hinder it.
Exactly, you could definitely make an NPC, but a convincing AI? You could only go so far with it. You could botch together pathfinding an some dynamic action stuff that it doesn't currently do with script, maybe if your really good some form of rudimentary conversation system, but it would be pretty inefficient, and for most CSs an FCs ultimately, wouldn't be necessary. Fun to try, no doubt, it would show some serious skill, but that time would be better spent improving other aspects of your mod, or using another engine. Maybe it'll be easier in HPL3?

Your definitely right about analyzing Kreekakon, though I think it's harder for some to switch off that part and just play the thing, especially for us something made on HPL. For reviews I feel it's better that the reviewer doesn't have knowledge of the underlying systems, as ultimately it doesn't matter how technically good your system is, it's all about how it shows to the player. Likewise a rudimentary system doesn't matter if what the player experiences works perfectly well for the game, so if you were going to script an AI in HPL2 it wouldn't have to be complicated so long as there's no need for complicated actions and no suggestion to the player that its as capable as other AI systems.
04-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Open-ended discussion on creation and design - by Adrianis - 04-05-2012, 09:06 PM