Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open-ended discussion on creation and design
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: Open-ended discussion on creation and design

(04-06-2012, 01:56 AM)Putmalk Wrote: By the way, you guys can post videos in this thread for critique. It is an open discussion on design.

So, here goes. New custom story I'm working on, I'm working on my scripting and mapping.

My design goals here was to set up a feasible introduction that doesn't leave the player confused on what's going on. I leave a note in the prison cell that explains a little backstory, about how there's a war going on and people are being imprisoned by an oppressive and brutal regime. Not much too spoiled here, but a little intrigue to get the player going.

This map isn't as linear as it seems...well, okay, it is, but if you explore in the second prison cell and stuff, you'll find an item that'll help you complete an optional quest later on in the game, that may or may not lead to an alternate ending. XD

Do you agree with the design decision that favors exploration for the player finding secrets that will be in use later on? Or should I go the Amnesia route with a clearly defined goal that gives the player a choice at that time, but exploration won't really do much for them.
I think rewarding exploration is important, but in that case, clarify for the player what is making progress, and what counts as exploration.
A simple example:
In the dungeon crawltunnel, you get the option to go left or to go right. If you go want to explore for goodies (even if there aren't any in those tunnels) and you go left, then you'd at best have to curse before returning to head right, down the "exploration path" (that ends in a dead end where there could have been goodies stashed). At worst, the tunnel will collapse behind you, and if that 50-50% chance cut you off from the good ending, you'd be really pissed about it.
This is why Dead Space has the "magical pathfinding thingie": So that you can know which route makes progress, and what route means side quests. In Amnesia, you'll have to do the equivalent with notes and mementos. People who don't read them may not get the good ending, but that serves them right.
Another thing about exploration, is that the players knows that the game will give him a fair challenge as long as he stays on the marked path. I personally think that straying to places where you're not supposed to go, should be a high-risc high-reward affair, but that's just me.

PS. That chandelier at the stairs... Consider raising the ceiling it's attached to if possible.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2012, 02:55 AM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-06-2012, 02:54 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Open-ended discussion on creation and design - by Cranky Old Man - 04-06-2012, 02:54 AM