Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open-ended discussion on creation and design
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: Open-ended discussion on creation and design

(04-06-2012, 04:00 PM)Putmalk Wrote: Double post, I'm sorry, but it's another topic for discussion.

What do you classify as a non-linear map, and how would you design such a map?

I guess if you double post it just tacks on at the end of the previous one? Hot damn.
I'll just say what I believe to be a linear map. I think these are maps that after you have passed an area, there's little to no point treading across the same ground twice. There's just nothing there. Maps where you can, and have a meaning to, go back to previous places be they hubs or some other form of non linearity is what I consider non-linear.

A reason I dislike linearity as a game design is that when you think about it, it's unrealistic. Like say, linear building designs are frankly a waste of space. Buildings without "hubs", and only straight hallways are super-hard to navigate for any person, don't you think? Even though this sometimes can be justified by locked doors, and/or debris, I think non-linear is overall more immersing to the player. This still depends on the type of game at hand though.
04-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Open-ended discussion on creation and design - by Kreekakon - 04-06-2012, 04:24 PM