Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open-ended discussion on creation and design
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Open-ended discussion on creation and design

This post may came off as rambling a bit, as there was no real singular point, I pretty much just did stream of consciousness.

Well, I've been working on my castlebase areas, drawing tons of inspiration from rainy hall and old archives (pretty much the only hallway-type castlebase settings in Amnesia). I decided to use curtains and paintings to align most of the walls, mixing both wood and stone floors to add variety to the sections and make them a little more noticeable. Although, this section I just designed was intended to give a long-winded, claustrophobic experience to the player as they traverse it.

I was going to have the player just mindlessly walk into the entrance hall, but I've decided against it...I'm going to make this interesting, forcing the player to solve an intricate puzzle in order to advance. It's not complicated, but I want to draw inspiration from Tomb Raider and make it very platform heavy.

One of the things I noticed in custom stories is the very linear, point A to point B type of mapping. I prefer it differently, I prefer each area to have their own signifance, and for it to feel like you're actually journeying through it, sorta like hubs. For example, you enter map A. Map A leads to Map B and Map C, but the door to Map C is locked and you have to find a key in Map B in order to proceed. Map A is very large, and traveling through it is made more enjoyable through a series of events...I even like to add interactivity to some areas, such as touching a bed will trigger a flashback from your past or something.

Map A isn't something I would consider a hub, because there's only two door ways, but the experience is much more varied than just going from A -> B -> C, since you actually go from A -> B -> A -> C, and maybe the second time you enter A, something new happens that didn't before? Tongue

Here's an example of what I mean:

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2012, 08:12 PM by Putmalk.)
04-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Open-ended discussion on creation and design - by Putmalk - 04-09-2012, 12:19 AM