Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open-ended discussion on creation and design
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Open-ended discussion on creation and design

I haven't read the entire thread, but I've read a few posts, here's my opinion!

I think the most important part of map design is getting the lighting right. Once you've got a room with perfect lighting, it makes it a LOT easier to add details to other parts of the room. I usually make my maps one room at a time, finishing the scripts in one room before even starting the next, as opposed to making a 'shell' out of static objects, and filling the entities and scripts in later. This keeps me more interested for a longer amount of time, and prevents rushed rooms towards the end.

Adding to Putmalk's point about linear maps, I like to include player decisions in my maps. They should be allowed to picklock the door, or use a sledgehammer and smash it through, or take a slightly more risky alternate path. However, the player might already have broken the picklock on another object beforehand. Giving each puzzle at least two solutions keeps scripting down while giving the player choices. More choices also gives more room for error when solving a puzzle, making it a little bit easier to figure out.

I have my rooms linked in a triangle, so Room A can go to room B or C, but they cannot go back once they have made their decision.

I just found that this way the player feels like they are making a choice by deciding which path to choose. Each route has decisions and advantages/disadvantages.

EDIT:

There was something I wanted to point out, but I think it might have already been mentioned. - Attention to detail! I love exploring rooms, looking through all the drawers and actually finding (relevent) things. Maybe finding a note which isn't part of the main plot, but is a side story, or a little easter egg. Even better is when one of these random objects triggers a scare, because hardly anyone does it.

Also, I found that placing your script areas earlier than usual and adding a timer delay makes them much more unpredictable.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2012, 12:42 AM by DRedshot.)
04-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Open-ended discussion on creation and design - by DRedshot - 04-10-2012, 12:14 AM