Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open-ended discussion on creation and design
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Open-ended discussion on creation and design

(04-09-2012, 11:56 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: I don't get why people think that hubs and spokes are so special. It's been around at least since Hexen back in '95, and while it's fun to backtrack to a familiar area to get a sense of orientation, I think that the environment and gameplay should shape any backtracking or hubs, and not the other way around. When you play Amnesia, and you go "Finally, we're back in the hub. Nothing happens in the hub, so I can rest here." then compare that to how an actual hub of an evil fortress would be. The monster is roaming around in the spokes, but if we just left him in area A, the hub doors are somehow preventing him from entering the hub, then how come he's suddenly in area B? Did he teleport? Are there more than one? (This goes for custom story monsters as well, if they have peaceful hubs.)
Most large buildings have some kind of hubs naturally - just don't force them into the game for the sake of having some "superior" sort of gameplay.
Fair point. Watch the video and view how I did it. When you need to backtrack, the goal is to add events to make the process not as repetitive and dull (also done in Amnesia, the shadow always closes in on you when you re-enter the Entrance and Back Halls).

And this is about having "superior" gameplay, that should be the goal of every designer. I often find myself bored of very linear, A -> B -> C -> D -> E stories, I think it contributes very little the atmosphere and exploration of the game.

Also, I do not consider level doors blocking monsters and supposed "teleportation" to be anything we can change - that's how it was designed, we can't help it. I also think it's unfair to criticize and gameplay based off of loading screens and other stuff that protects you from monsters, it's natural territory with games and especially with Amnesia.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2012, 12:19 AM by Putmalk.)
04-10-2012, 12:18 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Open-ended discussion on creation and design - by Putmalk - 04-10-2012, 12:18 AM