Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in progress Quiet Slumber - (The Tall Man/Slender Man Story)
hbcAntonio Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Quiet Slumber - (The Tall Man/Slender Man Story)

I totally agree with you on how custom stories focus on making you run and run and run and then jump because a pig was thrown at your face. I mean, Amnesia Gatherers are not scary at all.

No, seriously. Grunt is even laughable. Brute is not, but still isn't terryfing. I find Silent Hill enemies creepier than anything, if you ask me. But what I'm trying to say is that the Gatherers get this 'horror' aspect only because you are afraid of actually meeting one. See, you are walking by and it suddenly jumps at you. Probably you'll scream and then you'll freak out trying to run, and if you can't you'll just give up and that is it. A good scare, but no real horror.

Ambience, sounds and the tension of coming across one is what makes Amnesia scary. And if you actually replace the Gatherers with a static Slenderman model, well, that will make it ten times scarier. Slender does not come after you running, it is the personification of horror. You're afraid of seeing the Grunt, but just seeing it won't harm you. Slenderman, in the other hand, will (I hope so. A running slenderman would be pointless, in my opinion).

So yes, I think this Custom Story you're creating will be very successful if combined with a good plot, mapping and the right scripting events.

About the screenshot... I would feel safe in a place like this. I think it lacks only of details, but the ambience is fine. And here is the trick about lights: you can switch them off. Bright rooms make you feel comfortable, rested. A place where you can finally breath. Give the player that sense and then take it away from him and you'll create a much greater tension. This is a resource you must use carefully, though.

Well, sorry for the long reply, but I always like to give a full explanation about my opinion, haha.

*English is not my native language.
01-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Quiet Slumber - by Kman - 01-03-2013, 10:38 AM
RE: Quiet Slumber - (The Tall Man/Slender Man Story) - by hbcAntonio - 01-05-2013, 07:15 PM