Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish)
cryptomundo Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish)

So I've played through twice now. The first playthrough was with subtitles off and the second was with them on. I only mention it because without subtitles, some of the dialog was difficult for me to understand even with the use of headphones, and so my understanding of the story/ending was a little muddled.

Also, while I love a good story, it's usually never the reason for why I enjoy certain games.

I was surprised to find out what Daniel had done initially. Upon entering the orb room, however, my feeling toward Daniel was disappointment. In the last letter I found he blames Alexander for turning him into a monster. Instead of taking responsibility for his actions, his assumed the role of the helpless victim. This whole game I was running around scared and helpless, and it would have been a nice change of pace to see Daniel own up to his actions in some way. I think it would have been an impowering moment for the player considering all that had come before. Having said that, that would mean the whole impetus for Daniel seeking revenge would probably have had to have been rewritten. If he had assumed responsibility, he may not have chosen to drink the amnesia potion.

Also of note, I didn't believe that Daniel could've been so easily manipulated. There's a scene in the choir entrance area where you get a good sense that he had gone bananas, but I never got a sense of his internal madness leading up to that point. A few more notes that showed Daniel's gradual mental decline would have fit nicely I think.

Not that it was a persistant thought, but I was reluctant to kill Alexander the whole time. Your initial note describes him as a feeble old man. Other notes/events describe him as a man looking to reunite with his lost love (or did I miss something?). His tone throughout the game is dark and manipulative. So many conflicting aspects of his personality made him a truley ambiguous character to me. I would have prefered never to have seen Alexander in the orb room. There are so many unknowns in this game, and it would have been nice to have seen him kept in the shadows throughout.

I was confused by Agrippa's role. I helped him out because he seemed like a decent guy, but it wasn't clear to me what else he wanted after I gave him the potion and cut off his... well you know. Furthermore, his bouyant accent was in contrast to the horrific image of him, and made the whole sitiuation seem a little looney tunes. I was fine with that, but I didn't feel a sense of gravity or urgency in working with him.

My heart was pounding when I first entered the orb room. I had just been chased into the previous room by something wicked, and so I was a little on edge. While Alexander was talking about something that I couldn't really understand, I tipped over the pillars. I guess that was the revenge ending? It wasn't a choice, because my gut instinct at that point was to shoot first and ask questions later, so to speak.

Overall I thought the ending was fine albeit a little underwhelming. Part of this was because I was a little confused at what was happening, and part of it was that I had expected/hoped for something different.

Some of these thoughts were from what I remembered while playing the game, and some of the stuff I've added with the benefit of hindsight. I can tell you that the ending didn't keep me from starting a second playthrough the very next evening. This is the most atmospheric and horrifying experience I've ever had. Smile
09-12-2010, 01:16 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish) - by cryptomundo - 09-12-2010, 01:16 AM