Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish)
darkpast Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish)

1) I have mixed feelings about Daniel. I don't blame the Algeria and London deaths on him, since he had no idea that the first three would happen, and later he thought the monster could be stopped. While he did murder and torture people to save himself, he did not at first know they were innocent (and don't forget this game was set in a time when the death penalty was much more common). He was slowly and calculatedly manipulated by Alexander into doing those things. I mean, why else did Alexander lie to him about the prisoners? Of course, that does not free Daniel of guilt, and I'm not sure if he truly redeems himself in the end. On the other hand, I have absolutely no doubt he is not as evil as Alexander, so allowing him to use the portal is without doubt the worst ending.

In the end, Daniel is all too human, and I think it's a rare person who wouldn't do the same if they were put in his place.

Alexander is utterly immoral and selfish - to the point of being a psychopath I would say. Yes, he does want to be with his love, and helps Alexander, but he does it for exclusively selfish reasons. He makes a habit of offering people power or salvation, and discarding them when they're no longer useful to him (he did this first to Wilhelm and then Daniel). He does not care that human blood and suffering are needed for his experiments - he first tries to use animals because they are "less of a hassle to acquire", not because of any moral concerns. Likewise, he keeps Agrippa alive only because he is useful to him - only him. He removes Agrippa's jaw to underline that point (so Agrippa can't talk to others). He will do everything in his power to emotionally manipulate people and turn them against themselves: he tries to convince Daniel they two are the same (obviously false, since Daniel never tricked anyone into doing his dirty work). When actually threatened, Alexander's facade breaks and he becomes aggressive.

Unfortunately, I didn't learn enough about Agrippa to form an opinion about him. He seems nice enough, probably the best person of the three, though there are some hints that he might have done things for entirely selfish reasons. Still, I think he wised up during his century-long suffering, and atoned for any crime he might have had. Ultimately, I felt Agrippa is a minor character, and he isn't so important himself; he is there more to define Daniel. That is, he is a chance for Daniel to do a truly altruistic act - putting his life on line to save a broken old man.

2)The Agrippa ending. Yes, I followed his instructions, though I got worried because the portal took a long time to open... made me nervous, but that's a good thing.

3) It was a bit disappointing - mainly because it was too short.

4) Yes, I got all of them. The Alexander ending is really anticlimactic, but that's just what I expected, so no complaints. The revenge ending is the best, it actually feels like a proper ending. Daniel sounds very self-righteous there, but again that's expected.
My motivation was simply curiosity.
09-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish) - by darkpast - 09-20-2010, 12:25 PM