Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish)
Dibs Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish)

1) I loathed Daniel for all he had done. Despite his attempts at justification, and Alexander's influence on him, I didn't forgive Daniel. I didn't care for his survival in the end. Alexander I saw as a cold creature of logic, disillusioned with this world and devoid of emotion. He didn't really raise much emotions for, or against, him. I can't remember every word of his from the flashbacks, but I had the feeling he was working towards an end with all the torture etc. and not simply due to the enjoyment of it. I didn't feel much for Agrippa either. He probably wasn't a fleshed out enough of a character to make me care about him. He was friendly enough, I guess, but I felt his existence was more of a detriment to the game's atmosphere than anything else.

2) I got the revenge ending, just because I thought the only way to progress the game was by felling the pylons. I felt I was going to have a choice in the end, but choice didn't manifest itself in a way I would've recognized it. I would never have thought of just waiting it out on the first time.

3) I had mixed feelings about the Revenge ending. I felt Daniel put aside his guilt for the things he did too easily, though that could be considered a good thing considering I hated the bastard by the end and this disregard on his part only fueled that feeling.

4) I checked the other endings on Youtube. I would have preferred the ending where both Alexander and Daniel die, if only it were more fleshed out. I was hoping there would be more to all the endings, I felt they were a bit too inconclusive and I had a "was that it?" feeling when the credits rolled. I felt I did all that for nothing. I guess it's kind of preposterous to assume the player's deeds always have a large effect in the world, though. In the end, the game was about about the fate of a mere three people, all of whom I didn't feel any sympathy for. Penumbra's ending was far more satisfying. I'd have liked a bit more extrapolation into what exactly the nature of this other world was, what the shadow was, what the orb was, why it was on earth, who created it, what happened to whoever survived the ending, what happened to the castle, the orb, the shadow and the monsters. I had many questions throughout the game but few were answered satisfactorily. My motivation to look for the other endings was simply curiosity and the desire to experience everything the game has to offer.

Regardless of my criticisms, I felt the game was genius. I'm rarely affected by horror games due to the cheap scare tactics employed instead of building on atmosphere. Amnesia was absolutely dripping with atmosphere.
09-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish) - by Dibs - 09-28-2010, 11:57 PM