Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish)
Nospheratu Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish)

First off, congratulatuions on making one of the most scary games ever, period. This game is such a dark gem that it will probably remain a benchmark for horror games for years to come, so YAY for Frictional, you guys are awesome! Now...

1) When entering the Orb Room (where Alexander is), what where your feelings toward Daniel (ie yourself), Alexander and Agrippa.

I started to anticipate Daniel's bad deeds and him harbouring a very dark secret about the time the girl started screaming and whimpering in the storage (holy sh!t, scared me out of my mind); noticing that the game had a quite "Lovecraftian" feel to it I have somewhat anticipated that the main character will eventually be revealed not to be a "hero" at all and during his dark descent I came to partly despise Daniel (who made a lot of bad choices out of his selfishness and cowardice) but also feel a bit of understanding for Alexander's plight (he just wanted to go home to his love), so good job on the "anti-hero" twist.
I was ofcourse the most sympathetic for Agrippa who was - for me at least - the most tragic figure since he was (also in reality) a very smart and learned man who had come across the wrong things and persons at the wrong time and thus ended up being locked in a decaying corpse for over 500 years, so he deserved his rescue the most.
After finishing the game, my feelings towards Alexander and Daniel were mostly like the Yin&Yang symbol: "There is always something good in evil and always something evil in good", it all depends on our choices how we act. Like Alexander said - if Daniel would have let himself be killed right away, he could have saved quite a lot of people. Very good plot excecution, me likey Smile

2) What was the ending that you got the first time? Was this a choice?

Since i managed to follow the instructions on Veyer's letter the first time, i entered the chamber with the head in my possesion, but since i knew beforehand that there are 3 endings and after i checked the autosave was in the chamber, i decided to start with the revenge ending and then try out the other 2 as well.

3) How did you like the ending?

The revenge ending was the most rewarding for me and probably made the most sense for many players, BUT i couldn't help to feel kind of sorry for Alexander and spiteful towards Daniel - "purgatory my ass, you should have been TORTURED and killed like your victims, then you would have been redeemeed". It was also a nice touch to make Daniel shortly revisit some parts of the castle on his way out, so yeah, I liked it.

4) Did you get any other endings? If so, which one was your favorite? And what where your motivation for seeing more endings?

Next i threw Agrippa's head through the portal... I liked this one a lot too, since you save Agrippa AND yourself, BUT ALSO as part of a redemption your (evil) body is destroyed and all that remains is your soul (my guess anyway) which gets "rescued" by Veyer and Agrippa. I would say that this and the revenge endings were both gratifying and i liked them both.
As most players, i liked the death ending the least, although i couldn't help but feeling a sense of dark justice for daniel and relief for Alexander who could "finaly return home" - the way he said "home" made me so sad that i actually felt good for him entering that gate. And again, Daniel got what he asked for with his own selfishness Wink
My motivation for seeing all 3 endings was a sense of completion and to gain knowledge about all of them.

So that's basicly my take on the endings... I'll probably post more soon, so see you around Smile

Better to reign in hell than to be a servant in heaven.
11-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish) - by Nospheratu - 11-02-2010, 11:19 AM