Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish)
Renegade_ Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish)

(09-10-2010, 07:47 PM)Thomas Wrote: 1) When entering the Orb Room (where Alexander is), what where your feelings toward Daniel (ie yourself), Alexander and Agrippa.

As the story progressed to the point of the ending, I emotionally disconnected myself from Daniel, and had a faint sense of disdain and loath towards him. For being naive, fickle, and ultimately morally deprave by his own standards.

Yet oddly I felt a strange sense of gravity towards Alexander's character while remaining only mildly conflicted about his motives/morals. It were as if his other-wordly existence defied and surpassed the trivial and petty notions offered up by humanity (in his own terms), and though (as with Daniel) I would likely not have condoned his actions were he human, I truly felt his reasoning - of being beyond good and evil - was compelling and could square it with myself much more so than Daniel's.

This is also in large part due to the superb voice acting on both characters. Daniel's voice acting always trembled with a faint hint of naivety and doubt; while Alexander's was powerful, sure, comforting and explanatory, imbuing him with a sense of authority figure, and reassurance. These attributes resounded in their voice narratives and actions, and is difficult to separate the two.

I felt Agrippa seemed more like an unimportant side-story; though I did enjoy the backstory and myth of Weyer, and found it to be intriguing. However the seeming comical relief Agrippa supplied was not entirely wanted or fitting of the narrative and, combined with his late introduction, I did not feel much connection to or interest of this character (likewise I also assessed his motives to be of a more benign nature).

Much more so than Daniel or Agrippa, I was most fascinated by, and intrigued to see the fate of Alexander.

Quote:2) What was the ending that you got the first time? Was this a choice?

From playing several other adventure series before, I feel my decision was not entirely natural. I knew very likely there were going to be a few alternate endings, so I chose the most obvious one first: eliminating the portal without delay. I then chose the opposite of that (Alexander's ending), finally followed by the median between the two (Agrippa's ending).

It was a choice, but only inasmuch as I tend to approach these things in a very calculated manner (i.e. I tend to hoard supplies, explore every room, and rarely wing it or go on gut).

Quote:3) How did you like the ending?
4) Did you get any other endings? If so, which one was your favorite? And what where your motivation for seeing more endings?

I enjoyed all the endings, but particularly Alexander's. Daniel's I felt was somewhat expected, though with a sense of something missing: it did not resolve or address his dubious actions during the narrative, and I was hoping to see more of a tragic hero end (perhaps life-long insanity due to intense dissonance, or suicide, or spending the rest of his life as a recluse, marked, scarred, or in some other form of atonement for his actions).

Agrippa's ending was contemplative and mysterious, tying back into the backstory with Weyer. And might have served to be a "good ending", though again for reasons above, I don't feel it was fitting for Daniel in particular, but did offer some resolution as to Agrippa/Weyer.

Finally, Alexander's ending was most intriguing. We never quite glimpse to where he is returned, and are left to ponder the untold majesties of his other-wordly origin. However, on his exit, he notes with sadistic realism what Daniel's fate will be; and I marveled truly at how this was so cooly delivered, without spite or vindictiveness, yet with a hint of surly triumph. The player is left to dwell on Alexander's statements on good and evil, as he states with vivid candor and honesty that Daniel's name and legacy will be "celebrated" eternally; which is summative of the inability to precisely pin Alexander's character as wholly good or evil throughout the entire narrative.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2010, 10:17 AM by Renegade_.)
12-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish) - by Renegade_ - 12-13-2010, 09:59 AM