Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish)
Crazy Crazy Doctor Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish)

1) When entering the Orb Room (where Alexander is), what were your feelings toward Daniel (ie yourself), Alexander and Agrippa.

You guys did an incredible job of manipulating how I felt towards Daniel throughout the game. At first, I wanted to save myself, even as I learned more about what the Shadow was (admittedly not much, which is probably a good thing), it still seemed like I needed to save myself, that it was all an accident. As I heard the flashbacks, Alexander had a very manipulative, evil sounding voice, which made me peg him as a bad man from the start, which also seemed intentional. By the end though, it seemed that Alexander and Daniel were friends in a way, and that Daniel had actually gone way more off the deep end than Alexander. Also, Alexander didn't manipulate Daniel at all, he told him perfectly well what needed doing, and Alexander did them, convincing himself that all of these people were terrible people and deserved to die for their research. The torture chambers were easily the most powerful part of the game for me; they really showed me the atrocities that Daniel had committed without actually showing them which is key to the effect. I felt like Daniel either needed to die for what he did, or try and make up for it. Alexander seemed to be trying to find a woman in the other world? It was implied that he was sort of like Orpheus in that he was trying to find his lost love, but it wasn't too clear. This might have helped garner a bit of sympathy for him, and make him seem more morally-ambiguous. Hell, he even got a bit scared by Daniel there near the end of their plot together.

As for Agrippa, I kind of got a slight Red from Penumbra vibe from him, but he wasn't a part of the story for long enough for me to really develop any feelings for him, other than wanting to save him from an eternal existence of just hanging there.

2) What was the ending that you got the first time? Was this a choice?

The ending I got the first time was Alexander escaping through the portal. It wasn't really a choice, I wasn't sure if the portal was open, because I tried to throw Agrippa's head through the portal when it first showed up but it was still opening.

3) How did you like the ending?

It was kind of fitting? Obviously it was horrible, but I felt like it worked in a way.

4) Did you get any other endings? If so, which one was your favorite? And what where your motivation for seeing more endings?

I saw all of the endings (other than dying in the prison). My favorite was the revenge ending. It seemed to be the most grounded in reality, in that Daniel would have to live with what he had done, but at least made up for it a little bit, and would presumably live a better existence from then on.

The "best" ending, where you throw Agrippa's head through the portal, seemed a little empty to me. I guess I wanted to see a glimpse of something other than blue sparkles? I also wasn't clear on what exactly going to this other dimension/world meant exactly. Is this the equivalent of an afterlife, since I seemed to have died but went there anyway? Along with the Orpheus/Alexander connection, there was also the bright light at the end. If so, the concept of the afterlife as another dimension is a very interesting one.

In the Frictional Games blog, you speak of themes and essence, and I can see many similar themes in both Penumbra and Amnesia, which is a good thing, as it means that there is a clear motive for what you're doing, and you're not just trying to make a cool game.

Thank you for making Amnesia, I can't wait to see what else you guys have in store for us.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2010, 11:48 PM by Crazy Crazy Doctor.)
12-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish) - by Crazy Crazy Doctor - 12-27-2010, 11:43 PM