Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extreme Game Lag on Every Setting
Drone37373 Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago Extreme Game Lag on Every Setting

I am presently using a Gateway NV55C49U laptop.

Specs
Intel® Core™ i3-370M processor 2.4GHz
3GB DDR3 install memory
320GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
15.6" LED-LCD high-definition widescreen display
1366 x 768 resolution
Intel® HD graphics

The Intel Driver was updated from the Intel website. It is current.

The game was downloaded through Steam.

It is somewhat strange what is happening now:

I used the game to automatically detect my settings and it was set to "medium". The game ran smooth and flawless for the first 15 minutes or so of game play which was great. I then later opened up the game from where I left off and started to experience some lag. As the next 10 minutes went on the lag got terrible. I then also experienced issues with the game. I picked up a note and when Daniel had the flashback about being stuck in the tomb but saw some light, the screen just went black and I could hear the game sounds but could not get out of it. Now, the game lags extremely bad regardless of what settings or resolution I have it set to. I have tried every option. I have lowered the settings all to 'low' as well as disabled all of the extra options possible yet the lag stays just as bad. Strange how adjusting the settings now doesn't even affect this.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I love this game so far and would be thrilled if I could continue playing.

Regards,

Chris
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2011, 02:35 AM by Drone37373.)
09-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: Extreme Game Lag on Every Setting

I will help you soon and I think we can work this out. In the meantime, please attach me here the file HPL.log found under Documents\Amnesia\Main folder.
09-05-2011, 02:52 AM
Find
Drone37373 Offline

Thank you kindly for your reply and help.

Attached is the file you requested.

Regards,

Chris

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 6.71 KB / Downloads: 124)
09-05-2011, 03:01 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

MM, you have the latest Intel drivers so the game should run. Also, your laptop only uses the Intel card which means not much can be done. So, you should lower the settings all the way to the buttom and start a new game with these settings. When you reach that part with the flashback note, I think you can bypass it without reading it. Just find the required key and leave the place.
09-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Find
Drone37373 Offline

(09-05-2011, 09:21 AM)plutomaniac Wrote: MM, you have the latest Intel drivers so the game should run. Also, your laptop only uses the Intel card which means not much can be done. So, you should lower the settings all the way to the buttom and start a new game with these settings. When you reach that part with the flashback note, I think you can bypass it without reading it. Just find the required key and leave the place.
Thank you for your reply and looking into this.

I set all settings to low and unchecked every additional graphics option. SSAO, VSYNC, WORLD REFLECTION, ETC. I unchecked all of the insanity options as well.

A new game was started with all of these settings. I had tried this now with 3 different resolutions inluding taking off the full screen thinking that might make some difference. The results are the same. They're fairly smooth for the most part other than a little lag here and there. I then get to the archives and it gets more laggy but then speeds up to normal on and off. *SEMI SPOILER* Once I get to the last room where the wall is broken with a rock; that's where it starts to get really bad. Once I make it to the wine cellar it's all over. The lag is completely unplayable at this point.

Also; in certain rooms on the floor, there will be a random black rectangle. This isn't everywhere, just a few places here and there.

I would think the game should be able to be played with a lowered resolution and all graphics cut out and/or lowered but this is the same result regardless of any settings or resolution for some reason.

At this point it may be chalked up to my system not being able to run it but I thought I had all of the minimum requirements to be able to run it on low if need be. I'm just uncertain.

If any additional info or suggestions (other than buying a new computer =D) can be added; I'd appreciate it. If we're just at an end here, I understand.

Thanks,

Chris

(This post was last modified: 09-05-2011, 02:47 PM by Drone37373.)
09-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Make sure to turn off any programs and background process that are running before you run the game. Also if you use a Aero theme in Windows, turn it off (aero are themes that have fancy effects like shadows and transparency) before running Amnesia. The computer should be capable (but it is below requirements) of running the game, even if only with low settings.
09-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Website Find
Drone37373 Offline

(09-05-2011, 02:45 PM)jens Wrote: Make sure to turn off any programs and background process that are running before you run the game. Also if you use a Aero theme in Windows, turn it off (aero are themes that have fancy effects like shadows and transparency) before running Amnesia. The computer should be capable (but it is below requirements) of running the game, even if only with low settings.
Hi Jens,

Thank you for your suggestion. I didn't think to try that.

I should have mentioned in previous posts that I always make certain to have no other programs running. This is also a brand new laptop but I did also do a thorough virus and spyware scan. I did change the aero theme to a basic theme and unfortunately this made no difference. I loaded back at the wine cellar and there was no improvement.

Thanks,

Chris

09-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

No idea, but maybe the laptop is overheating or something?

09-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Website Find
Drone37373 Offline

(09-05-2011, 03:28 PM)Scraper Wrote: No idea, but maybe the laptop is overheating or something?
Hi Scraper,

The laptop doesn't appear to be any hotter when running the game than during any other regular use. Overall it doesn't get very warm at all.

Thanks,

Chris
09-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Well the card can just barely run the game. I don't think we can do something about that. If you have a desktop computer with a better graphics card...
09-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Find