Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What is fear?
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21
RE: Flame War against people who says DS 2 is scarier than Amnesia.

This thread needs to be locked...imho OP post is just trying to stir up trouble...
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011, 06:27 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
11-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Website Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(11-02-2011, 03:19 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: No, actually there is no difference between fear of one with another. Worst fear is the fear of the unknown. It's the strongest fear of human beings and it reflects itself in literally every way. If the world is worse than it could've been today; it's because people don't try to know what's unknown to them, and continue to fear from it, thus having an urge to destroy it.
I beg to differ, fear is the result of conditioning and learning. That's the way humans have always learned what to avoid and what's safe. Like, if a berry is poisonous and you eat it, you learn that eating said berry is bad for you and so you avoid it. You can fear things that you haven't experienced yourself through seeing or listening to someone that have experienced something traumatic.

Although there's natural fears that have passed down through genes, like fear for animals, some kinds of food, and height/water. I have never seen a study that proves that the fear of the unknown is carved into our brains as something that is feared all over the world. If it was, we would never have taken a ship and sail to the other side of the pond because it would've been to scary for us. Sure some of us might have a fear of the unknown but I'm almost certain that just as many are just curious.

Quote:How many of the gamers are able to think today? If they can't think, they can't enjoy Amnesia. But they can enjoy Dead Space. So, although their argument is that which one is scarier; I believe none of the people, who says DS 2 is scarier, played Amnesia, nor will be able to even if they try to.
That's pretty close-minded, just because they like to play a certain kind of gameplay doesn't make them stupid. I thought better of you Tan, sorry.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011, 07:36 PM by eliasfrost.)
11-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(11-02-2011, 07:35 PM)nackidno Wrote: I beg to differ, fear is the result of conditioning and learning. That's the way humans have always learned what to avoid and what's safe. Like, if a berry is poisonous and you eat it, you learn that eating said berry is bad for you and so you avoid it. You can fear things that you haven't experienced yourself through seeing or listening to someone that have experienced something traumatic.

Although there's natural fears that have passed down through genes, like fear for animals, some kinds of food, and height/water. I have never seen a study that proves that the fear of the unknown is carved into our brains as something that is feared all over the world. If it was, we would never have taken a ship and sail to the other side of the pond because it would've been to scary for us. Sure some of us might have a fear of the unknown but I'm almost certain that just as many are just curious.

To avoid and to fear are completely different things. You cannot put them into the same place. That's a pointless argument.
Fear doesn't get passed down through the genes. I didn't see any official information about fear being passed down through genes. If you know one, please send me.

And I see we have completely different opinions about fear. You are suggesting that if one fears of something, s/he never goes near it, never tries to do, never tries to get to know it. Whereas I suggest people don't try to get to know what is unknown to them because the fear of unknown.
Just a quick example. Why do you think some fears the dark? Because they can't see in the dark; and since they can't know what's there. Fear of the unknown.

And also there is a word: "brave", which nullifies your argument. But whatever. I'm not gonna continue this discussion.

(11-02-2011, 07:35 PM)nackidno Wrote: That's pretty close-minded, just because they like to play a certain kind of gameplay doesn't make them stupid. I thought better of you Tan, sorry.

Although I never said something like "Black Ops players are stupid", or "if they play a certain kind of game, they are stupid" how did you interpret it... That's the thing I didn't understand.
I see you didn't get my point, so I'll try one more time.
Today's majority of the gamers don't want to think, don't like the think. They want mindless shooting. I guess you don't have any objection to this, because if you have, we need to go back.
Before calling me close-minded I'd expect you to check the gamers attitude throughout the net. See what majority of gamers like, majority of gamers do. See how a game which is worse than its predecessor becomes the best-selling game ever. And I'll say completely opposite of what you understood from my previous post. People are not stupid because they are playing sh*tty shooters. They are playing sh*tty shooters because they are stupid. You can go and interpret this as "all people who play shooters are stupid", because this was what I exactly said, wasn't it?

I knew my English wasn't the best, but I didn't know my sentences were this open to interpretation. Wow.

Edit:
I read what I wrote again in my previous post.
Stupid people cannot enjoy any game that needs thinking. But they can enjoy mindless shooting games.
Normal people can enjoy both.
Wow, I was really close-minded.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011, 08:58 PM by Tanshaydar.)
11-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Website Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Quote:But whatever. I'm not gonna continue this discussion.
I'm fine with that.

Quote:Although I never said something like "Black Ops players are stupid", or "if they play a certain kind of game, they are stupid" how did you interpret it... That's the thing I didn't understand.
I see you didn't get my point, so I'll try one more time.
Today's majority of the gamers don't want to think, don't like the think. They want mindless shooting. I guess you don't have any objection to this, because if you have, we need to go back.
Before calling me close-minded I'd expect you to check the gamers attitude throughout the net. See what majority of gamers like, majority of gamers do. See how a game which is worse than its predecessor becomes the best-selling game ever. And I'll say completely opposite of what you understood from my previous post. People are not stupid because they are playing sh*tty shooters. They are playing sh*tty shooters because they are stupid. You can go and interpret this as "all people who play shooters are stupid", because this was what I exactly said, wasn't it?

I knew my English wasn't the best, but I didn't know my sentences were this open to interpretation. Wow.
I know you didn't say explicitly that shooter gamers are stupid but the way you worded your sentence gave me the impression that you thought that stupid people can't enjoy games that require thinking, although I believe that's very wrong I'm not going to try to reverse your opinion, I'm merely saying that I think you are wrong because I know a person that's not the brightest around but that guy plays myst, and my best friend is one of the most intelligent and open-minded people I know and he hates puzzle games and relish playing CoD. Just saying, it all comes down to preference, not level of intelligence.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011, 09:09 PM by eliasfrost.)
11-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

(11-02-2011, 09:08 PM)nackidno Wrote: ...because I know a person that's not the brightest around but that guy plays myst, and my best friend is one of the most intelligent and open-minded people I know and he hates puzzle games and relish playing CoD.
We are talking about completely different terms. At least I get that now.
He plays myst? Calling him "not brightest" is unfair. I don't know him (or her, doesn't matter). For my opinion, he is one of the brightest. I guess your understanding of intelligence is far different from mine, as it is with fear...

(11-02-2011, 09:08 PM)nackidno Wrote: Just saying, it all comes down to preference, not level of intelligence.
Preferences comes from somewhere, you know... They just don't pop out of nowhere.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011, 09:23 PM by Tanshaydar.)
11-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Website Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Quote:I don't know him
Exactly xD
Quote:Preferences comes from somewhere, you know... They just don't pop out of nowhere.
I don't understand what you mean here. Preferences are something you like, it doesn't matter how smart you are to appreciate something.

11-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Threads: 5

I understand what you are both trying to say, and it seems you are both talking about two completely different things. Tan I understand your argument, pretty much saying that all things come from something as in fear of the unknown (ex. being afraid of the dark) and Nack you are saying that we humans know what it is to fear and that's why we avoid it unless we don't fear it. At least I'm hoping I understand. Both can be true I suppose, depends on how you look at it. Good points on both parts.

As for the "Stupid people cannot enjoy any game that needs thinking. But they can enjoy mindless shooting games. Normal people can enjoy both." comment I do not exactly agree with. Now I don't think anyone is "stupid" just they know less then someone else. It's all about gaining knowledge and understanding but to be talking about I suppose a "stupid" person playing only shooter games is a little iffy. People who don't wish to think at all when they play games usually go and play CoD or BF or what not, aka pointless shooting games. Now that does not mean they are "stupid", it just means their sense of knowledge in gaming is a lot slower and not very developed as people who let's say play Amnesia, Myst, Total War etc. Being smart does not determine what games you play, though Tan you did have a point. Preferences do come from somewhere, and smarter people do tend to want to play games that take some thinking than those people who are not all that smart prefer to play games which they don't have to use all that brain power. So yes, you are both right I suppose. Just got to put more into it.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
11-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Website Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

(11-02-2011, 11:41 PM)J.R.S.Storch Wrote: I understand what you are both trying to say, and it seems you are both talking about two completely different things. Tan I understand your argument, pretty much saying that all things come from something as in fear of the unknown (ex. being afraid of the dark) and Nack you are saying that we humans know what it is to fear and that's why we avoid it unless we don't fear it. At least I'm hoping I understand. Both can be true I suppose, depends on how you look at it. Good points on both parts.

As for the "Stupid people cannot enjoy any game that needs thinking. But they can enjoy mindless shooting games. Normal people can enjoy both." comment I do not exactly agree with. Now I don't think anyone is "stupid" just they know less then someone else. It's all about gaining knowledge and understanding but to be talking about I suppose a "stupid" person playing only shooter games is a little iffy. People who don't wish to think at all when they play games usually go and play CoD or BF or what not, aka pointless shooting games. Now that does not mean they are "stupid", it just means their sense of knowledge in gaming is a lot slower and not very developed as people who let's say play Amnesia, Myst, Total War etc. Being smart does not determine what games you play, though Tan you did have a point. Preferences do come from somewhere, and smarter people do tend to want to play games that take some thinking than those people who are not all that smart prefer to play games which they don't have to use all that brain power. So yes, you are both right I suppose. Just got to put more into it.
This

listen to boards of canada
11-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

(11-02-2011, 11:41 PM)J.R.S.Storch Wrote: I understand what you are both trying to say, and it seems you are both talking about two completely different things. Tan I understand your argument, pretty much saying that all things come from something as in fear of the unknown (ex. being afraid of the dark) and Nack you are saying that we humans know what it is to fear and that's why we avoid it unless we don't fear it. At least I'm hoping I understand. Both can be true I suppose, depends on how you look at it. Good points on both parts.

I really need to say I enjoyed reading every word of this.
Now that I think, I didn't make myself clear enough. Sorry @nackidno, you might have been right. I should've been clearer.

By stupid, I don't mean any humiliation, I don't mean intelligence, I don't mean knowledge. I usually think Turkish in my mind, so I think the word stupid might not exactly reflect what I actually think. So, I could chance it to "anyone who does not want to think" or "anyone who finds thinking boring". That way it might sound better; but by the time you all get the point. Games deserves more attention.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2011, 12:08 AM by Tanshaydar.)
11-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Website Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

RE: What is fear?

Quote:Now that I think, I didn't make myself clear enough. Sorry @nackidno, you might have been right. I should've been clearer.
No hard feelings, communication is two-ways after all, I shouldn't have called you close-minded though, seems a bit rash in retrospect, sorry.

To answer J.R.S.Storch, or comment: I fully agree with what you said, you straightened things out a lot between us. It's funny how you could put words on both of our points while we couldn't quite get ourselves understood the way we wanted. Tongue

11-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Find