Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

If I wanted to start programming where do I start?
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
If I wanted to start programming where do I start?

I want to make games where do I start? how do engines work? what programming languages do I need to learn?

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2012, 02:58 AM by darkely.)
01-13-2012, 04:34 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: If I wanted to start programming where do I start?

You could start with opening topics in right places Smile
Probably you should start with modding to see what it's like, then move on to more advanced projects.
We've seen people without experience starting projects and those projects did die.

01-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Website Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

I once stumbled upon this, might be useful.
https://sites.google.com/site/vidyadevresources/

01-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Find
Elven Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(01-13-2012, 07:59 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: You could start with opening topics in right places Smile
Probably you should start with modding to see what it's like, then move on to more advanced projects.
We've seen people without experience starting projects and those projects did die.
^ This... I am studying PHP atm and I can say that because of amnesia modding (Even tho I still haven't released any CS Angel ) it is much much easier Smile.

The Interrogation
Chapter 1

My tutorials
01-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(01-13-2012, 07:59 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: You could start with opening topics in right places Smile
I had a after thought about that sorry x(

01-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Hey, no problem pal.
On topic, next thing I could recommend is to implement some 2D games to have a basic grasp on game programming logic. Writing a gameloop will change for your life Big Grin

01-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Website Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

I think I will try and look into that - I looked up gameloop and it seems like it will be interesting to try Big Grin. I actually got into modding with GTA San Andreas - I know that it is simple using the mod programs but driving around in the Warthog from Halo was worth it. It was a pain once I actually got the Warthog into the game when I got into it the game would crash :'( and I was stupid and did not back up the original files so I had to do a fresh install. I would love to see the next game from Frictional Games using dx11 - I recently played Saints Row: The Third which was the bomb great graphics and a good story line too Smile. My point I would like to see one crysis 2 level graphics in the next game - I am not a developer and I know it would be extraordinarily hard to do but it is just a thought Big Grin. Any way to conclude this long reply that you may or may not be getting sick of reading I am looking into this guide (of sorts): https://sites.google.com/site/vidyadevresources/ (thanks Khyrpa Big Grin). I hope to hear (or read) from you guys again soon.

@Elven like simple mods such as replacing objects with my own custom ones and things like that?

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2012, 09:44 PM by darkely.)
01-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I'm not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination but a lot of people learn basic coding using Javascript. You can find some decent guides on learning it too. HTML is another which usually comes first from what i've read upon.

OR even taking a college course for it (if you're old enough). Once I get my C grade in maths i'll be doing Computing which is a course that has A LOT of programming involved. Not sure about similar courses that you'd be able to find would be the same but on the one I found they don't expect you to have ANY EXPERIENCE at all.

[Image: luv.gif]
01-15-2012, 03:22 AM
Find