Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 4.07 Average
My Love -- v. 1.1 Custom Story
zoomos Offline

Threads: 1
RE: My Love -- v. 1.1 Custom Story

I'm stuck at the wine cellar door, I open the 4th map with the editor and I have the right door but the key doesn't work.
05-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(05-08-2013, 10:12 PM)zoomos Wrote: I'm stuck at the wine cellar door, I open the 4th map with the editor and I have the right door but the key doesn't work.

Where did you find the Wine Cellar door? Because the only Wine Cellar is accessible from the first map, when Samuel wakes up.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
05-09-2013, 12:36 AM
Find
zoomos Offline

Threads: 1

(05-09-2013, 12:36 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:
(05-08-2013, 10:12 PM)zoomos Wrote: I'm stuck at the wine cellar door, I open the 4th map with the editor and I have the right door but the key doesn't work.

Where did you find the Wine Cellar door? Because the only Wine Cellar is accessible from the first map, when Samuel wakes up.

I finished it.. it was labeled wine door when searching the map with the editor.
05-09-2013, 01:30 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(05-09-2013, 01:30 AM)zoomos Wrote:
(05-09-2013, 12:36 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:

I finished it.. it was labeled wine door when searching the map with the editor.

Where do you find the key?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
05-09-2013, 01:38 AM
Find
Tetrafish Offline

Threads: 3

(05-09-2013, 01:38 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Where do you find the key?

I think it's where it was before...

Spoiler below!
behind a painting that's behind a shelf that is angled away from the wall in one of the rooms. Although, I don't recall having to use it on the cellar door the 2nd/final time through.

Sorry if that's not right... The reason for that is....

I just got done playing. Good story, very well done with the writing. I can see how it resembles 'The Notebook' (never seen it actually, just read a small review) as someone else said earlier. The voices?... Could've been better in that regard. The level design... Overall it was good. But there was one point while in a large room, I looked up and seen all the tiles on the ceiling. Then I thought with that many spread out -the room could use some pillars, but then that might clash with the rest of the surroundings. But that's just me.

Tears flowed about 4 times I think, which is nice for a change. Blush I seen the bad ending. And there's not supposed to be any scares, but there's a couple times... well, you get into the story. I didn't feel phased by the occurrences, didn't even flinch actually. But I thought of others playing it and it possibly making them flinch.

This being the 3rd CS I've ever played, I think I'd give it a 7/10. I'll definitely play it again to see the good ending. I should've thought back to earlier in the game, then I might've remembered....
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2013, 04:19 PM by Tetrafish.)
05-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

[Edit]

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2016, 07:20 PM by 7heDubz.)
05-14-2013, 06:24 AM
Find
Lucemus Offline

Threads: 0

Edit
I have the good ending. It feels thus my soul is complete or some shit like that. I really really hope you will decide to make another CS like this. This was brilliant, fantastic, amazing...... Good Luck in the future, i hope you make as good CS like this.
07-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(07-05-2013, 03:57 PM)Lucemus Wrote: Edit
I have the good ending. It feels thus my soul is complete or some shit like that. I really really hope you will decide to make another CS like this. This was brilliant, fantastic, amazing...... Good Luck in the future, i hope you make as good CS like this.

I know right?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
07-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

”My Love” Custom story Thoughts and Review

Overall I think the story was great and engaging, and that rather than getting bored like you feared in your commentary, I became more and more engaged in it the more I played. If we look at your storytelling disregarding the media I think it is well done, the voice acting is great and emotion can be felt, even from the voices of lower quality recording, though I must mention that the lack of visual feedback or interaction with characters made it tough to tell them appart at times.
The music fits the moments well, especially I loved the moment when the main character regained his memories of Mary, and the violin(or whatever instrument that was) came in. I could feel that even on my second playthrough.
The mapping is not bad but definitely below average, and could use more detail. However it is good enough to get the job done. Lighting does not stand out in comparison to other custom stories, but it is clear that the mood was taken into consideration when you did it. It is also very appreciated, that you take the position of the sun into consideration when placing your spotlights, even when indoor. Finally your use of camera movement and effects definitely stands out a lot in moments like when the main character is slabbed in his face or when he confesses to Mary and it pans the statue, big plus on that one!.

However none of these methods of storytelling are exclusive to games as a medium(or was it media I dont remember)
and so when I was playing through the story I wondered a lot about whether it was fit for a game.
Sure it was very very linear, even going as far as taking use of the horror we know as invisible walls. But choice or the feeling of choice is of course not the only strengh games have in terms of storytelling. The first thing I thought about was the pace, and I still doubt my thoughts on it. I am certain the story would have been experienced differently in the fast pace of fx film, but would that different be better? Yes I personally do think so, since it would have made room for those moments you mentioned had been cut in your commentary, and overall deepening of all important characters. This however is only meant when purely taking the pace into consideration. The first person perspective wont really work out in film, and certainly not in a book, and considering your fine use of it as I highlighted earlier it would be quite a loss for the story, it makes it personal. Then theres also a few minor things like good old presence and engagement even through something as simple as holding down the W key. And even though you primarily go super linear there are a few moments were you let interaction hit the story. In particular I remember the moment when you had to move the bricks and Mary helped out.

To sum it up I would say My Love is not a very original story, but one that is made powerful by its execution, and even if it is not a great victory in the use of games for storytelling, you still make enough use of games strengh to make me feel that it was made something special because of it, and that it would have been dull and cliché had you turned you head towards film and litterature.

It was a good experience.

Oh and also did you ever play dead cyborg? If not I think you should, it is a game which makes heavy use of text very much like you make heavy use of dialouge with the environment mainly being an aid if you will. It is very different but writing this review made me think of the simularities and I think you might find it an interesting play, if you can get past the painful puzzles that is.:

http://www.deadcyborg.com/

(also I apoligize my layout, originally wrote this in OpenOffice and did not do many changes after copy pasting)
07-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Find
lordpeter Offline

Threads: 0

I am actually playing v1.2.
The problem is that I cannot get to the good ending.

Spoiler below!
I know I am supposed to go to the attic, but when I climb the ladder the trap door is shut.
11-21-2013, 01:47 AM
Find