Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Re texturing
Hotsun Offline

Threads: 1
Photo  Re texturing

Hi,
I am going to remake normal(bump) and specular maps of the game and even change the original textures (diffuse)if needed,all new textures have same resolution as the original and the size of them are half so the new textures will raise the quality but won't need better system and you'll have faster loadings and need less memory.
For example the original hand_lantern texture is 1366KB but new one is only 683KB.
Actually I know an exclusive way of making better normal maps,but remember that Amnesia have very nice normal maps.
First I started with White night mod but someone told me it can be good if I do it for original Amnesia files so I edited the lantern and the hand as an start:
Here I added some scratches on the lantern and added some small wrinkle to the hand and now you can see the fabric of the clothes better than before.
Here is the comparison shot:
[Image: Lantern_Hotsun_1.jpg]
2. [Image: Lantern_and_hand_retexture_by_Hotsun.jpg]
If you like it tell me so I will re make more textures for better quality and if creators of Amnesia accept I will release the texture pack.
Waiting for your comments.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2012, 09:28 AM by Hotsun.)
04-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Website Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: Re texturing

Cool.

Btw, can we have re-textured variations of the lantern and hand/shirt cloth? Smile

04-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Find
SonOfLiberty796 Offline

Threads: 39

This looks really interesting, as you can technically make Amnesia a bit more "HD-ified" lol :p Smile
04-27-2012, 05:17 AM
Find
Hotsun Offline

Quote:Cool.

Btw, can we have re-textured variations of the lantern and hand/shirt cloth? [Image: smile.gif]
Thanks,
Here is one,it was really hard and the quality is not good but I'm waiting for your comments.
Shot removed because it wasn't complete. Blush

Quote:This looks really interesting, as you can technically make Amnesia a bit more "HD-ified" lol [Image: tongue.gif] [Image: smile.gif]
Thank you too.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2012, 07:58 PM by Hotsun.)
04-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Website Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

That looks bad, it looks like you just took a picture of a fabric texture on google and applied it on the texture. Clothing doesn't look like that.

Looks like you did the same thing with the lantern, took some rust/metal texture on google and slapped it on the UV and then calling it HD
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2012, 02:45 PM by Arvuti.)
04-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

I do have to agree with the above post, not perhaps in such a harsh manner.

As for the lanterns new normal map, it doesn't really make it any more ''HD'' it simply creates an effect of the lantern beeing rusty, however there is no rust on the diffuse channel so it doesn't look realistic in any way.

As for the cloth you need to adjust the ''texture'' according to the UV, I can see very heavy streching at the front of the arm.
Also you should really consider making the fabric texture smaller and adding details such as clothing wrinkles and perhaps something like buttons or things alike to make it seem like a more realistic piece of clothing and not just a towel Daniel decided to wear.
04-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Could use more effort on the shirt texture before showing us!

Like to see more nonetheless.

04-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

If a complete game overhaul is expected, I fully support this. Something like the Thief 3 HD texture pack(or GTA:SA HD one).

Good luck!

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
04-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Find
Hotsun Offline

Quote:That looks bad, it looks like you just took a picture of a fabric
texture on google and applied it on the texture. Clothing doesn't look
like that.
Quote:I do have to agree with the above post, not perhaps in such a harsh manner.
Yeah,it wasn't complete and it's hard because I don't have the editable model to set the uv.

Quote:Looks like you did the same thing with the lantern, took some rust/metal
texture on google and slapped it on the UV and then calling it HD
I don't remember when I said HD,"Xvideogamer720X" said HD.I just re textured some normal maps and tried to change the cloth texture and I said
Quote:the quality is not good
Because this is not my job(I have to work only on bumps).

Quote:Could use more effort on the shirt texture before showing us!
I removed the shot and will use constructive comments like Traggey's and others.

Quote:If a complete game overhaul is expected, I fully support this. Something like the Thief 3 HD texture pack(or GTA[Image: confused.gif]A HD one).
Wink

The final word about lantern:
In my opinion exaggerated bumpiness models have better effect on player while playing a scary game.
This is my idea and may have many agreement or disagreement.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2012, 08:08 PM by Hotsun.)
04-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Website Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

I'll take that as a yes. Just take your time and try to public only finished content.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
04-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Find