Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't name keys and other problems
bagobonez Offline

Threads: 11
Can't name keys and other problems

Posted this is technical problems sub forum but no replies, thought I'd try here. I followed the tutorials for naming keys...
my english.lang scripting matches up perfectly with the tutorial and my
key is named appropriately in the level editor, yet when I'm in debug
mode and I actually grab the key it says "picked up" and that's it... as
if the game is looking for the name of the key but can't find it.

Also... from time to time it seems my english.lang file just stops being
recognized by the game, but only for my custom story, not for other
custom stories I've downloaded. I checked and re-checked and it appeared
fine, yet the game refuses to acknowledge it. I eventually just delete
it and start over and that fixes it... for a while...

One last question... how do I get a door name message to pop up when i
aim at the door in-game? can't find a tutorial for that anywhere. Thanks
for helping a modding noob. [Image: blush.gif]
05-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Find
Litronom Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Can't name keys and other problems

when you load your map trough debug mode, it wont recognize the .lang
be sure to start your story from main menu.

For the door text: in the level editor, you can define a locked text. (im not sure what its called, im not at my computer atm.)

05-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Find
bagobonez Offline

Thanks, the key name is finally working, I guess it was the debug mode that had it screwed up! Will keep experimenting with the door texts!
05-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Find
Rownbear Offline

Threads: 13

(05-10-2012, 11:13 AM)bagobonez Wrote: Thanks, the key name is finally working, I guess it was the debug mode that had it screwed up! Will keep experimenting with the door texts!
you must create a "Levels" in your extra_English, then when you target the door in leveleditor, go to entity and write it in the "TextEntry"

In my case the "textEntry" says MainHall, and my extra_english is looking like this then

Spoiler below!

<LANGUAGE>
<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
<Entry Name="Description">blabla.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Levels">
<Entry Name="MainHall">Main Hall</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>

so when i target it it says "Main Hall"
This is only for leveldoors, if you want it to be regular doors you have to do something else i think.

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2012, 01:35 PM by Rownbear.)
05-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Find
bagobonez Offline

(05-10-2012, 01:33 PM)Rownbear Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 11:13 AM)bagobonez Wrote: Thanks, the key name is finally working, I guess it was the debug mode that had it screwed up! Will keep experimenting with the door texts!
you must create a "Levels" in your extra_English, then when you target the door in leveleditor, go to entity and write it in the "TextEntry"

In my case the "textEntry" says MainHall, and my extra_english is looking like this then

Spoiler below!

<LANGUAGE>
</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Levels">
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>

This is only for leveldoors, if you want it to be regular doors you have to do something else i think.
Ok... Basically what I'm getting at is I want the player to know for example, "Hey this is the library, but it's locked." then when they get the Library Key they know which door to return to to use the Library Key. Can you help me with how to do that? Thanks!
05-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Find
Theforgot3n1 Offline

Threads: 20

(05-10-2012, 01:45 PM)bagobonez Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 01:33 PM)Rownbear Wrote:

Spoiler below!

<LANGUAGE>
</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Levels">
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>

Ok... Basically what I'm getting at is I want the player to know for example, "Hey this is the library, but it's locked." then when they get the Library Key they know which door to return to to use the Library Key. Can you help me with how to do that? Thanks!
Can't you name the key "Library Key" and have a description for the key saying "This key must go to a library!"? You should get a memento from the library door, saying "This door is locked and can only be opened with a key."

How much have you done so far?

Confusion: a Custom Story - Ch1 for play!
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-15477.html
About 50% built.
Delayed for now though!
05-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Website Find
Rownbear Offline

Threads: 13

I guess you put out a "Sign" area, you find those in the list with scriptareas. just put it to cover the door, and edit the entity options there, make a category "signs" and call it "library" (In the Extra_english) so when the player looks at that signbox it will say "library" or "library door"

And if its bothersome after you've unlocked the door, put set entity false to disable it, along with the script to unlock the door,

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2012, 02:38 PM by Rownbear.)
05-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Find
Litronom Offline

Threads: 4

(05-10-2012, 02:36 PM)Rownbear Wrote: I guess you put out a "Sign" area, you find those in the list with scriptareas. just put it to cover the door, and edit the entity options there, make a category "signs" and call it "library" (In the Extra_english) so when the player looks at that signbox it will say "library" or "library door"

And if its bothersome after you've unlocked the door, put set entity false to disable it, along with the script to unlock the door,
If you place a sign area in front of the door, you cant interact with the door.
So, if you want to unlock it with the key, scale the sign area up to the doors size and use AddUseItemCallback in connection with the sign area.

05-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Find