Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Obscurity - An Amnesia Custom Story
ElectricRed Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Obscurity - An Amnesia Custom Story

(07-23-2012, 09:36 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: Yep, if you update your mod regularly with fresh content, and keep it at the top, the people who know about your mod will sky-rocket.

Though, from what I've seen, most of the people over there have incredibly low standards. Taking my Amnesia mod for example: I've maintained a perfect 10/10 score based on five scores, and most of the people in the comments lauded it as super awesome, and scary as hell. One person even lauded it as second only to White Night. I like my own mod, but even I don't give myself as much credit as those people did O_o
(07-24-2012, 02:11 AM)Kman Wrote: Yeah Moddb users tend to have even lower standards than a lot of the people here do. The terms "best story ever" and "so fucking scary" are thrown around like crazy. Honestly just reading through comments there can be incredibly amusing just because of how stupid some of the people are Big Grin
Hah, I doubt I'll mind the lower standards. Tongue I just submitted it to them, hopefully the page will be up soon. Thanks!
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2012, 07:47 PM by ElectricRed.)
07-24-2012, 04:50 AM
Find
ElectricRed Offline

UPDATE:
7/25/2012

The latest area I've been working on is called "The Crypt," and it's located in Crescent Village's graveyard. It's a large underground system of passageways and chambers meant for storing and studying bodies. When Crescent Village was still prosperous, this was its main source of income. Scientists would come from all over to study here, until one day something happened. Now it's been abandoned, and the bodies have been left there to rot. What secrets do these dark, dusty corridors hold?

Screenshots:
Spoiler below!

[Image: 1.png]
[Image: 4.png]
[Image: 7.png]

See more at Obscurity's moddb page!
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2012, 07:47 PM by ElectricRed.)
07-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Find
Ermu Offline

(07-25-2012, 07:46 PM)ElectricRed Wrote: [Image: 7.png]
Reminds me a lot of a room/map in Super Mario 64. I like the screenshots!
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2012, 09:28 PM by Ermu.)
07-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Find
ElectricRed Offline

(07-25-2012, 09:27 PM)Ermu Wrote: Reminds me a lot of a room/map in Super Mario 64. I like the screenshots!
Haha, how so?

[Image: 9lkjf4.jpg]

07-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Find
SilentHideButFine Offline

Threads: 38

(07-13-2012, 06:39 AM)ElectricRed Wrote: [Image: 2mn4sbt.jpg]

[Image: 35lss3p.jpg]
A Custom Story by ElectricRed

Crescent Village... That name has been ringing in my ears, haunting me in my dreams. Ever since my wife's death, I've been having nightmares about the place. It's where I grew up as a child, but I was sent away to live with my aunt and uncle when I was very young. I never saw my family again.

Why is this happening now, 30 years later? It seems to be calling out to me, beckoning me to return. That's why I must go. I need to find out why I'm being haunted by these nightmares, and maybe seeing my family again will help me cope with my wife's death... Something seems off about it though. All of my instincts are telling me to stay home and forget about the whole thing. I can't just shake it off though... I NEED to do this.

Story:
Upon returning to the village you grew up in as a child, you discover that it's empty. Doors are boarded up, bloodstains soak the ground, and a strange aura lingers in the air. What happened and why has everyone disappeared? Crescent Village holds a secret, and it's up to you to uncover it.

Features:
- Chilling atmosphere
- Frightening horror
- Complex and deep storyline
- Richly detailed environments and lighting
- No monsters from the original Amnesia or Justine

Info:
As you can probably tell, this is not a pointless jumpscare map. The horror will be genuine and make sense. In addition; grunts, brutes, or suitors will not be making an appearance. Any monsters used in the story are custom. The reason I decided against making a full conversion is due to the sheer amount of them nowadays, and I don't believe it's necessary. Another thing you should know is that quality is extremely important to me, and I want this custom story to be as professional and functional as possible. I'd appreciate any kind of comments or criticism you may have that will help me improve. I don't care how minor they are.

Anyways, you can expect Obscurity to be released sometime this year. I've already been working on it for a while and have quite a bit done already, although there is still a lot to go. A trailer will be released very soon, along with weekly(?) updates until the release. I'm still a bit on the fence about a demo. Do you guys think I should prepare one, or is it not necessary? I'd really like some feedback on this. Thanks!

Screenshots:

Voice Actors:
I'm currently hiring voice actors! The script isn't complete yet, but basically I will ask that you voice over parts that I send you over the period of development, if that makes sense. Here are the characters:

- The main roll [male, British] (narration, flashbacks, and dialogue)
- MC as a child (a couple of short flashbacks)
- A young girl [any accent] (a couple of short flashbacks)
- A small boy [British] (short dialogue)
- A middle aged woman [British] (flashbacks)
- A middle aged man [British, deep] (flashbacks)

Obviously, I don't need a separate voice actor for each one. I'll most likely need about 3 people. If you're interested, please feel free to PM me or post here! Also, if anyone is interested in making some custom music, please let me know!

Updates:
7/25/2012

And that's it! Please post any comments below! I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
Is this out?

[url= http://www.moddb.com/mods/jessehmusic [/url] ,HOSPITAL OF HORROR MOD
07-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(07-25-2012, 10:35 PM)SilentHideButFine Wrote: Is this out?
Nope, not yet.
07-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Find
Ermu Offline

(07-25-2012, 10:26 PM)ElectricRed Wrote:
(07-25-2012, 09:27 PM)Ermu Wrote: Reminds me a lot of a room/map in Super Mario 64. I like the screenshots!
Haha, how so?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Zy4gA3RTs

The room in the beginning (0:00-x:xx) is what i mean. I've always loved the design in the room. Though the flipping coffins pissed/pisses me/everyone off every time.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2012, 12:40 AM by Ermu.)
07-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Find
ElectricRed Offline

(07-26-2012, 12:38 AM)Ermu Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Zy4gA3RTs

The room in the beginning (0:00-x:xx) is what i mean. I've always loved the design in the room. Though the flipping coffins pissed/pisses me/everyone off every time.
Oh wow! They are quite similar. A complete coincidence, though. Tongue (Maybe I should hide red coins inside of the coffins.)

07-26-2012, 12:48 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

General stuff:
I would suggest toning down the blue. Add billboards. Add spotlights with gobos. Add particles. Add more detail to existing areas. Try to create some variation on the lighting at some places, relative shadows depending on distances to light. You could also try mixing up colors of lights, as you have tried with the blue and white/orange at some places.

Outside area: Outside you could for example give the area a very weak dark blue, housetops and treetops a lighter color with a faint blue and a large (slightly brighter than the treetops) spotlight for representing the moonlight.

Other than that I like your view on creating stories, aiming to create something of substenance.. Which is why I bothered commenting :>

Good luck to you!

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

07-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Find
ElectricRed Offline

(07-26-2012, 10:17 AM)Acies Wrote: General stuff:
I would suggest toning down the blue. Add billboards. Add spotlights with gobos. Add particles. Add more detail to existing areas. Try to create some variation on the lighting at some places, relative shadows depending on distances to light. You could also try mixing up colors of lights, as you have tried with the blue and white/orange at some places.

Outside area: Outside you could for example give the area a very weak dark blue, housetops and treetops a lighter color with a faint blue and a large (slightly brighter than the treetops) spotlight for representing the moonlight.

Other than that I like your view on creating stories, aiming to create something of substenance.. Which is why I bothered commenting :>

Good luck to you!
The problem with adding billboards is that they make the light look like daylight. I originally had them, but they were too bright and they only looked strange when I toned them down. I will definitely try messing around with the colors though to see what works. As for detail, I agree that these areas could use a little more. I was planning to go back and improve some of the lesser detailed areas when I'm done, but I might as well just do it now.

The outside area has been giving me a lot of trouble actually. I can't seem to get it to look right. Its gone through a ton of changes since I took that screenshot however, and I have to say now it looks much better. I love the idea of having a spotlight to represent the moonlight, hopefully I can pull that off!

Thanks for the tips! Big Grin

07-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Find