Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thief Gold
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Thief Gold

@ hirnwirbel. nope, i think i got about as far as "my little freind" as well, and then gave up after far too much 7.65 NATO flavoured m60 death. i love a challenge, the harder the game the better, but, Hitman one... sheesh, even I felt that game went too far in terms of challenge. if you are going to arm the boss with a 200 Round large calibre GPMG (General Purpose Machine Gun) , you need the protragonist to be able to survive more than 2 small calibre hits! as much as i H-A-T-E quicksave... Hitman 1 seriously needed Quicksave! in fact, a Lot of people could not complete it, its why they remade about 80% of it as "Contracts".

oh jeez, "the cradle"... did frictional do that one? or did it just inspire them?,... ArrrrrghhH! sheer horror brilliance! (its up there with "ice station evil" and the "3rd Nightmare" in the first "Max Payne" for "awesome pant wetting horror level in non horror game" and thats some big bore company!)

thats why i like Thief 2 the most too, it feels more open and more creative than 3, it also feels better balanced.

true, theif 1 has its issues, but its still a good game, not many people get it right first time. new mechanics always feel a little off, as its very difficult to balance them on first attempt.

ah jeez, Constantines Mansion, the Atmosphere in that level is superb!
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 08:51 PM by the dark side.)
08-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Oh how I remember the Cradle... played it for the first time until I got to the part where the enemies appear. Saw the first one of them at the end of a corridor, said "nope", closed the game and didn't touch it for a month. Big Grin
Then when I played it again I set the difficulty higher than the first time and didn't realize that meant there were MORE enemies now. So I was like "well calm down, you know it doesn't appear until you get past that room there". Needless to say, I turned a corner and had one of those things right in front of me. Hilarity ensued.

What I like about constantines mansion is that it starts off just like a normal house and then slowly gets crazier until you're walking on the ceiling. Compared to that good ol' level I was very disappointed by the Malkavian Mansion in the much younger (and also awesome) Vampire: Bloodlines...I had expected that to be just as insane.

Edit (so I'm not posting one-liners here): Thanks for telling me about dishonored - I didn't know about it and it looks amazing! Oh and I'll be away for a week too, I'm at GDC Europe and Gamescom in Cologne ^^
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 09:22 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

yup, same here, scared the living daylights out of me when i was younger, i mean, i used used to monsters, (too much doom, lol) but never presented in the "traditional horror" fashion before, just "lobbed", i totally wasnt expecting them. as a result, the air went blue, the disk got kicked out, and i went back to "the duke"..

indeed, more difficult, more monsters, more "ooooohhhh shiii-----" moments!

yeah, that level is really crazy, superbly designed, i dont think ive ever seen anything come close either. shame really.

maybe "dishonoured" might? i hear that the dev team for that has a few looking glass personal in it, there influence is certainly there in the "steampunk" astehtic and stealth. somehow i cant help but feel, and yes, i know this is off topic, "Dishonoured" will probably be far more like "theif 4" in spirit, than Theif 4 will be.

BTW. i wont be on for 2 weeks now, see you all then! have fun...
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 09:04 PM by the dark side.)
08-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Ugh guys! The spoilers!!!!!!!!!!! I think I'll get thief 2 if you guys say it's the best one, if it's better than thief 3 than it must be good. And Constantine's mansion was basically where I figured 'screw this stealth business, I'm gonna run around like an idiot' because it worked. And that level made no sense and kinda broke immersion for me, with the part where you
Spoiler below!
walk out of a forest tunnel into fuckin deep space.
The levels in gold didn't seem to fit together well at all, like the textures were just random and the rooms didn't seem real.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2012, 02:44 AM by Damascus Rose.)
08-12-2012, 02:43 AM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(08-12-2012, 02:43 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: I figured 'screw this stealth business, I'm gonna run around like an idiot' because it worked.
What difficulty do you play on?

Constantine's mansion indeed doesn't make any sense. However the reason why will become apparent later in the game.

(08-12-2012, 02:43 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: The levels in gold didn't seem to fit together well at all, like the textures were just random and the rooms didn't seem real.
It seems that way cause it's an old game and the textures are of low quality.

Stand for something
or
Fall for anything
08-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(08-12-2012, 09:57 AM)spukrian Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 02:43 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: I figured 'screw this stealth business, I'm gonna run around like an idiot' because it worked.

Constantine's mansion indeed doesn't make any sense. However the reason why will become apparent later in the game.

(08-12-2012, 02:43 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: The levels in gold didn't seem to fit together well at all, like the textures were just random and the rooms didn't seem real.
I tried playing on expert, and it was impossible because whenever I walked behind a guard as quietly as possible he just turned around and killed me. So I think I was playing on normal or hard.

And I know that's the reason for the crappy textures, but it really ruined some of the immersion for me because the levels just seemed slapped together with little attention to detail.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
08-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

Gee, thanks, thread. Makin' me go and buy the Thief bundle for the nostalgia.
I HOPE YOU'RE ALL HAPPY.

08-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Find
Xanatos Offline

Threads: 5

You're welcome.

If fate frowns, we all perish.
Do not fear the darkness, but welcome its embrace.
08-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(08-12-2012, 05:02 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 09:57 AM)spukrian Wrote:

I tried playing on expert, and it was impossible because whenever I walked behind a guard as quietly as possible he just turned around and killed me. So I think I was playing on normal or hard.

And I know that's the reason for the crappy textures, but it really ruined some of the immersion for me because the levels just seemed slapped together with little attention to detail.
Perhaps you're experiencing a bug. The textures are not great but they have a lot of aesthetic appeal. Also, the level design in all three Thief games is superb and very meticulous in my opinion, with some exceptions.

About Dishonored, I think it looks rather good too but someone said it looks like Thief with cheats and I am inclined to agree based on what we've seen. Still, it seems like a lot of work has been put into it and I am probably going to buy it when the price goes down. A no powers/no kills run like I'm going for will probably be a fair challenge.
08-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Find