Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Compiled on Mac; Game crashes on start!
Limit8 Offline

Threads: 1
Compiled on Mac; Game crashes on start!

Hi,

After one day of work i successfully compiled Penumbra Overture. I already had to copy the newer AL-Files from the OAL-Wrapper to the dependencies.

The game compiles now but it crashes on run. Theres no log and i actually have no idea why it doesn't work. Was there a similar case when the game didn't start?

Thanks for the help in advance ;D
07-26-2012, 12:55 AM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31
RE: Compiled on Mac; Game crashes on start!

Have you tried running it in the debugger to see where it crashes??? That is the best way to determine what is going on.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
07-26-2012, 02:55 AM
Website Find
Limit8 Offline

(07-26-2012, 02:55 AM)Urkle Wrote: Have you tried running it in the debugger to see where it crashes??? That is the best way to determine what is going on.
That's very strange. No SIGABRT's. Nothing. The screen switches its resolution and then the program closes itself. I also added breakpoints for all exceptions but nothing. No messages, no exceptions. I don't know what is going on there Big Grin

Edit:

I'm able to run the SimpleTest program of the OALWrapper but the PhysicsTest of the HPLEngine crashes too.

Edit 2:

It stops working at this line:

mpGraphics->Init(aVars.GetInt("ScreenWidth",1280),
            aVars.GetInt("ScreenHeight",800),
            aVars.GetInt("ScreenBpp",32),
            aVars.GetBool("Fullscreen",true),
            aVars.GetInt("Multisampling",0),
            aVars.GetString("WindowCaption"),
            mpResources);

In the engine in the file "Game.cpp"
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2012, 02:33 PM by Limit8.)
07-26-2012, 03:05 AM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

Now are you just compiling and running it FROM xcode? As that won't work as the game doesn't have any of the data files..

So the game is most likely NOT crashing but rather quitting because it can not find it's data files. You have to have a purchased copy of penumbra overture and run the binary with those data files in order to run it "as-is". To create your own custom game you'd need to create your own data files.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
07-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Website Find
Limit8 Offline

(07-26-2012, 01:51 PM)Urkle Wrote: Now are you just compiling and running it FROM xcode? As that won't work as the game doesn't have any of the data files..

So the game is most likely NOT crashing but rather quitting because it can not find it's data files. You have to have a purchased copy of penumbra overture and run the binary with those data files in order to run it "as-is". To create your own custom game you'd need to create your own data files.
I don't know where to put the file because i took the files from a copy of my friend.
So i just put them to the binary file in ???.app/Contents/MacOS

Is the upper second edit helpful?

Edit:

I moved the resources to the directory where the ???.app is also in and now it can initialize ever<ything and it shows a loading screen but then it crashs.

Edit 2:

I fetched an error while starting before the app crashs. It occurs while initializing the 3 last shaders:

The compile returned an error.

Could it be that the game is incompatible to the (bad bad) GMA 950?

Edit 3:

The file that fails to load 3 times: 'core/programs/Diffuse_Color_fp.cg'

Edit 4:

I changed this line in CheckSupport :
if (pTestVtxProg->CreateFromFile("core/programs/Fallback01_Diffuse_Light_p1_vp.cg","main") == false

to this line:
if (pTestVtxProg->CreateFromFile("core/programs/Diffuse_Color_fp.cg","main") == false)

now it falls back to MaterialQuality_VeryLow and stops loading any shaders but it still crashs.

Edit 5:

Now it crashs in the Player.cpp initialize

Edit 6:

I had to comment the crosshair code out and now it runs but only the mainmenu and the game's intro. After the intro the game doesn't crash it doesn't respond anymore. Also half of the screen is yellow while i was using the mainmenu and watching the intro. Then when it didn't respond the screen was completely yellow.

Edit 7:

I downloaded the demo. The demo works perfectly.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2012, 06:33 PM by Limit8.)
07-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Find