Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia Crashing
waugaha Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Amnesia Crashing

Hi, i've been playing amnesia and every 10 minutes or so i'm not 100 % sure on how often, but every now and then I will crash and my driver will stop responding. Now I read some articles stating that I may need to uncheck the read only in the folders properties, but when I do this it is immediately rechecked after applying it and closing it. I've tried it multiple times. Drivers and what not are up to date and all so i'm not sure what the problem is. I will be uploading the file needed for you to try and identify the problem.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 6.52 KB / Downloads: 129)
08-26-2012, 06:00 AM
Find
johnbox Offline

Threads: 5
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Amnesia Crashing

(08-26-2012, 06:00 AM)waugaha Wrote: Hi, i've been playing amnesia and every 10 minutes or so i'm not 100 % sure on how often, but every now and then I will crash and my driver will stop responding. Now I read some articles stating that I may need to uncheck the read only in the folders properties, but when I do this it is immediately rechecked after applying it and closing it. I've tried it multiple times.
are you logged on as an admin? if your amnesia-folder is located in the program files-folder, there might be a protection on changing the folders properties, if you have no admin-rights.

i just looked up the logfile, and everything seems like a normal user quitting. only 1 error is there, but it's about the stories cfg-file, and if this problem is always there when you play amnesia, this should have no effect on this problem. or do you have this problem only with white night?

Working on a full conv.-mod, first pictures coming soon...

Working with Blender and other Stuff since 2009.
Using HPL-Engine since 2012 (learning..)
08-26-2012, 06:16 AM
Find
waugaha Offline

No it's a general game problem not just white night. Uhm my user account is the administrator and I launch the game as admin. So I dont believe that is the problem. All my steam games folder properties are set to read only i looked through them all. Ive tried sending a message to steam support but they haven't answered me yet. For all I know if the HPL files change every time you run the game that couldve been one of the times I ran it and closed it myself without it crashing. Maybe that's why you aren't detecting any problems?
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2012, 06:39 AM by waugaha.)
08-26-2012, 06:37 AM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

I heard some newer drivers can cause problems. Try downgrading until it works.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2012, 07:24 AM by Robby.)
08-26-2012, 07:23 AM
Website Find
johnbox Offline

(08-26-2012, 06:37 AM)waugaha Wrote: For all I know if the HPL files change every time you run the game that couldve been one of the times I ran it and closed it myself without it crashing. Maybe that's why you aren't detecting any problems?
oh, yeah, that's probably the answer. or i'm simply too stupid to find it. but just try the advise above me, maybe that works ;)

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2012, 07:32 AM by johnbox.)
08-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

(08-26-2012, 07:30 AM)johnbox Wrote:
(08-26-2012, 06:37 AM)waugaha Wrote: For all I know if the HPL files change every time you run the game that couldve been one of the times I ran it and closed it myself without it crashing. Maybe that's why you aren't detecting any problems?
oh, yeah, that's probably the awnser. >.> or i'm just too stupid to find it. but just try the advise above me, maybe that works Wink
I heard that someone had an issue like this, in a different thread (don't remember the name, though), and tried downgrading, and it seemed to work.

Not sure here, but a great way to move forward.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
08-26-2012, 07:31 AM
Website Find
johnbox Offline

could you just edit my quote? i made something funny with answer -_-

@OP, if the driver-thing doesn't work, did you try the internal steam-data-check? if you do a right-click on the game, go to properties and click (i'm not sure, how it's called in english) something like check data, restore data or whatever, so steam restores automatically every corrupted file. that could help also.

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2012, 07:40 AM by johnbox.)
08-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Find
waugaha Offline

Is there no other solution but to downgrade my drivers. Will that not cause problems with other games I attempt to play in the future? I'll try playing the game again later on, and if I crash I will immediately post the HPL log hoping the problem can be identified without having to downgrade my drivers.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2012, 08:43 AM by waugaha.)
08-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

(08-26-2012, 08:42 AM)waugaha Wrote: Is there no other solution but to downgrade my drivers. Will that not cause problems with other games I attempt to play in the future? I'll try playing the game again later on, and if I crash I will immediately post the HPL log hoping the problem can be identified without having to downgrade my drivers.
Dunno about other solutions. Still, downgrading shouldn't be a problem. Mostly newer drivers are known to cause problems.

I remember my Nvidia Geforce 9500GT Card had drivers going from 250 (or somewhere from there), all the way to 301. I had less problems on the older ones, but better performance on 301.42, but there were graphical errors every now and then on certain games (which weren't there on the 250.xx drivers).

Short version, try downgrades if nothing else works.

EDIT: The hpl log shows an all clear. It isn't the game. Downgrade your drivers until you reach a sweet spot. And also check the GPU temperatures. Maybe that can be interfering. It is rare, but still...

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2012, 08:53 AM by Robby.)
08-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Website Find
waugaha Offline

Ok, I played until the game crashed. It took longer than I expected (just under half an hour) . The HPL log will be attached to this post and i'm hoping I will not need to downgrade my drivers.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 12.85 KB / Downloads: 105)
08-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Find