Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level Editor Help Custom Sounds Not Working
benjatheavenger Offline

Threads: 2
Custom Sounds Not Working

Okay! My problem is getting custom sounds to work as sound entities, in the way that the rain sound effects work in the rainy hall map.

1) There is nothing wrong with my .snt files as I have used them with original sounds and they work fine.

2) When I replace original ogg vorbis files with my own, the sounds crash the game and no longer work - this means the problem is with my ogg vorbis sound files.

3) I have recorded the ogg vorbis files with wavelab AND audacity and neither of them work. However, they work fine when referenced for ambient music, so the sound files are OK, just when I try to use them as a sound entity it doesn't work (game crashes when loading the map).

4) The sounds MUST be used as sound entities in my map as they are locational sounds and must fade as the player moves further away from them. It will not do to have them playing all over the map.

5) I have tried saving the .ogg files at several bit rates and bit depths, but nothing seems to work. It seems the original .ogg files are saved with a medium-low quality VBR with a depth of 16-bit. In spite of emulating this with my saves, they still work as music, but not for sound entities.

If you can provide the answer to my problem I will be impressed as I've spent over two hours trying to get this to work!
09-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38
RE: Custom Sounds Not Working

It could be a possible problem with the script. What kind of error do you get when the game crashes?

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Website Find
benjatheavenger Offline

(09-17-2012, 10:46 AM)Nemet Robert Wrote: It could be a possible problem with the script. What kind of error do you get when the game crashes?
Hi there thanks for the reply, I've actually somehow managed to get this working now - though the preview button in the sound entities menu still plays silence when you press it and with the original sounds, you can hear the sound previewed. I do remember the crash message was unusual, not a scripting error box but the "something is wroooooong" message in the black box with the amnesia artwork, don't know if you've had that before. There was a save option but I didn't use it as I quickly tried something else. The message was about libvorbis.dll (i think?) error something something +4. lol if it happens again I will post up what it says properly.

This is little more than a curiosity now though as the sound entity works in game (i wonder what changed?) if you can provide a reason why it won't preview in the sound menu in the level editor then let me know, but obviously this is non-essential.

I'll let you know when I complete the custom story, "The Dark Ritual", it will be a while as it is quite an ambitious project (15 maps all of high detail and quality, original puzzles, fully voice acted storyline with over 10 characters) yeah... i don't like to do things by halves! haha thanks for your help anyway
09-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

"something is wroooooong"? That's the "BlackBox" error. It means Amnesia suffered a fatal error.

That's unusual. You only get that when your GPU can't play the game.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Website Find
benjatheavenger Offline

I think it's definitely related to the sound file as when I removed it, the custom story loaded fine - my graphics can handle the editor and game no problem - the libvorbis relates to the ogg vorbis sound files so it's something to do with those.
09-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Nah, the sound wouldn't play if that would be the case. Something serious could have happened there.

EDIT: oh wait, you worked through the Level Editor. Well, that CAN cause what you experienced.

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2012, 02:03 PM by Robby.)
09-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Website Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Many things can cause a black box error message to show up. It's not necessarily related to the graphics card. It would be much easier to help you if you provide us with the sound files in question (OGG and SNT), post the HPL log after the issue occurs, and tell us the backtrace that the black box shows. Also, do you have any of your files at C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore?

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Website Find