Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some help setting up game
Divadoll Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months ago Need some help setting up game

Hi, I'm new to this forum and the game Amnesia. After checking out the forum to try and solve problems with setting up the game, I am here looking for some help.

My desktop runs Windows 7Pro 64 bit; has a 17-2600k processor; has 16GB ram; has a soundblaster Titanium card; and most importantly has an EVDO Geforce 590GTX single video card in it. Just got rid of my SLI cards as they gave me problems. I have checked and several sites say that the game is compatible with my video card (I did the troubleshooting etc here and my drivers are all updated) however, when setting up the game I'm having problems. It defaults to 1024x680, hi texture, shadow quality medium, shadow resolution high, and quality medium.

I go to the start window after typing in a name and the start page graphics are terrible. I choose gamma of 1.6 and manage to start the game and the graphics still are poor. Finally figured out that "w" makes you go forward and the hand can grab stuff with the mouse. Well the graphics still are terrible and I still do not know what commands to use. Then as I walked out of the first room the game crashed my computer and I had to restart. Did more research for a fix and finally came here.

Under options there are a whole list of settings. If anyone is playing with a 590 card and could let me know which settings to use that would be helpful. Also if someone could tell me what keyboard keys to use to run, crouch, jump etc. that would be much appreciated. Many games use the arrow keys. This does not.

Hopefully with a little help from my new gaming friends here I can get this game going. BTW, this is the demo that Frictional suggested I try before I buy. I really want to make it work.

Thanks in advance! divadoll Shy
10-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months ago RE: Need some help setting up game

That's quite odd.

Have you tried messing around with the settings in there? The card is more than enough for Amnesia.

But be careful around "SSAO". If you set it too high, you'll get quite an unplayable environment.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
10-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

You can adjust the graphics settings before opening the game in the "Launcher". Setting it for high will mostly do.

Controls for the game are as follows:
WASD - Move
Shift - Sprint
F - Use Lantern
Tab - Inventory
Q & E - Lean Left or Right
Left Mouse - Interact

For more precise stuff, pay attention to the hints in the game.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
10-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

(10-06-2012, 07:36 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: Pay attention to the hints in the game.
You can locate them on the top of the screen. Usually appearing when something happens. Or when you do something.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
10-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Website Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Oh, forgot to ask.

Where you got the game from?

10-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Website Find
Divadoll Offline

Thanks so much for the replies! Hopefully with a little tweaking I can get this thing fired up. The environment is very Heretic and Doom like with the hallways and rooms. Some of the older games I really loved.

Robby, this is the demo from the Frictional site. When I contacted them to ask if I was compatible they told me to try and get the demo to work before I purchased it. I am sort of protective of my puter as I had so many problems with Alienware to get it right. This is a pretty new computer maxed out now so I don't want to mess anything up with it. But I really am dying to try this game. (Saw a new one (Pigs) will be coming out soon which will be awesome.) I will try playing with the settings and hope it doesn't keep crashing the system as I don't want to corrupt anything. Reloading a computer is not my favorite thing to do.

BTW, what is SSAO?

And being a demo, I guess that is why I don't have any instructions so it took me a half an hour to walk forward lol. Thanks for some of the controls Kreekakon! And BTW - cool artwork!
10-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Ok then.

SSAO is "Screen Space Ambient Occlusion", which is found in the "graphics" tab of the options menu. It should be kept at "Off", normally.

And seeing that this is the demo, things are quite clear now.

Have you probably tried updating your GPU drivers from here ?

10-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Go to game options and set everything (including SSAO) to the maximum possible. Enjoy the game...
10-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Find
Divadoll Offline

There was indeed an update driver for my video card so I did that. The recommendation from Robby and Plutomaniac are different so I tried them both. The video card update did fix the start page (I now can read it) but once I am in the game there are strings, boards or barrier looking things which I can pass through. It seems like the rendering is wrong. I finished the forst room, went through the armor hall to the room with the 2 cabinets and the doors on the cabinets do not open correctly. After starting over I managed to open one door on a cabinet but could not get the tinderbox in it as no hand appeared for me to get it. Then game crashed yet again.

I'm frustrated as my computer can handle most any game, the newest and even older ones. Any other suggestions? Without getting this demo working, I do not think buying the regular game will yield any different results.

Thanks again, dd
10-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Try setting everything to the lowest.

Also try disabling the Windows Aero theme. It may not do anything, but try that.

10-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Website Find