Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penumbra remake on HPL2
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46
Penumbra remake on HPL2

I honestly used forum search function and didn't find anything on a subject.

Any attempts to remake whole Penumbra (all 3 parts as a solid non-stop game) on a HPL2 engine? I mean not just a port, but a true remake with props and interactive objects remodelling, retexturing and expanded levels?
10-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Website Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: Penumbra remake on HPL2

Sounds like a nice idea... but considering that hpl 3 is already in the making, the remake would probably be finished shortly before or even after that release. Which means that by the time it is finished it will look pretty outdated again, compared to Frictionals new game. Seems like a wasted effort to me...unless all the remade models were already created with use in hpl 3 in mind in terms of polycount etc. But since we don't know much about the specifications of HPL 3 yet that would be difficult to do.

Well that and of course you'd need quite an army of skilled modellers to remake all the models in the three games in sufficient quality, since most people here can only work in their free time.
10-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Aside from texture/model packs, nothing has been done with Penumbra on the HPL2 engine. There's a reason you haven't found anything like the project you described:

Quote:I mean not just a port, but a true remake with props and interactive objects remodelling, retexturing and expanded levels?

There's really no point in sinking that much time & effort into a remake of an old game (inb4 Black Mesa). Sure, it sounds good and would probably be fun to play, but I don't think you understand the insane amount of work that would have to go into remaking everything, especially since there would be little/nothing in return.

It would literally take years to remake all 3 games from scratch - what's the point when you could just play them on their current engine? It works great as it is.

I rate it 3 memes.
10-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

Unlike Black Mesa Penumbra remake is more about levels redesign as long there're no scripted-animated scenes with characters. And yeah it makes sense to keep in mind that HPL3 is on it's way and concentrate on modelling and texturing. Anyway, the main question if such a project would exist what exactly would be most interesting? For example I would love to see not just better quality models and textures, but expanded levels and some scenes deleted or alternated... for example I didn't like Dream Sequence at Black Plague. It was a way too similar to Silent Hill series mood. And I'd love to alternate that part with something completely different and unique... anyway... thousands of possibilities. But surely there's no interest with remaking when it's just about graphics.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2012, 12:21 PM by Alex Ros.)
10-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Website Find