Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Castle Dorian [Full Version] [Download is now online!]
thomthom44 Offline

Threads: 6
Castle Dorian [Full Version] [Download is now online!]

Finally it's here everyone, I'm glad its over actually. This was just a small hobby to do once a while. I'm not a professional at this but I'm proud about it!

Castle dorian
Whiteville 1423, A peaceful village famous about its beautiful landscape turned into a deserted place where no one dares to enter because of the plague, Recent information has told that lights start to burn at night and people standing around the mountain side. Many say the place is cursed and no one may enter or no returned is promised. Many villagers where evacuated to the castle
when it all happened. The rest moved across the land.
In 1428 a message was send from Whiteville and handed to the young William Cromwell in London. The letter was from his mother still hiding in the castle, but there was one problem. The letter was send 2 years ago. There was no confirmation that she would still be alive. William decided to travel to Whiteville as the plague was over for a year there. Ignoring all the warnings he still entered the forsaken place.
  • William Cromwell
William is one of Elisabeth Cromwell sons. He moved to London on his 19th birthday to begin a study on the human body. When the plague was settled he received a letter from his mother telling him she was alright, But the letter is from 2 years ago. Not soon after, he left London to visit Whiteville to see if his mother is still alive.
  • Elisabeth Cromwell
Elisabeth is a very welcoming women who would take care of everyone, She recently visits the town hall to cook for the poor. When the plague started she hided in the castle. After that no one has ever seen her again from the outside. She did manage to send a letter to his son to ask if the plague was over that he could come visit her.
  • Edward Dorian
Dorian was a great writer, He had a study full of books. Witch where mostly made by him. When the plague started he closed town to travelers and sellers, To prevent further spreading. But unaware rats started to move up hill and dig under the walls. Dorian became sick very soon and died not short after. After that everyone in the surrounding arena hided in his castle. Dorian still rests in his own garden.
  • Walter Hawkwind
A great blacksmith settled in Whiteville, He was well known to the King and recently visits him to talk about new weapons. With the plague Walter locked himself in the dungeons to work on something special witch till date still no one knows what it is.
  • Roane Bruamoff And Gregory Bruamoff
Roane and her husband where farmers outside Whiteville, Who lived very calmly on the mountain where they had a few plots behind their house. It was originally A woodcutters house but left town of unknown reasons. As soon as the plague arrived Roane and Gregory hided in the basement of the house but did not save them.
  • Lance Corviser
A Very noble man that took care over the financial part for Whiteville, He owned his own house in town. The largest of them all with private quarters for his family. The plague send him to the castle to be with the rest of the villagers.

[Image: 48448.png]
[Image: 19279.png]

[Image: moty-125.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2012, 07:26 PM by thomthom44.)
11-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Website Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64
RE: Castle Dorian [Full Version] [Download is now online!]

It's really entartaining so far, but I'm stuck and found first bug.

Spoiler below!
When I reached that library room and earlier room grab that key in a drawer then continued and later on I found a room where is that wooden lever, I switched that, but really don't know what opened or happened.. I searched and go back to that earlier room.. I found that same "Mansion key in a drawer" and can't go back anymore in library room. Now I'm trapped here every door is locked and key is useless at the second time. Damn it!

“Life is a game, play it”
11-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

You should delete .map_cache files before releasing CS. Simply because your CS unpacked weights approx 180 MBites, but if you delete .map_cache files it weights only 20 MBites. I'd say 160 MBites is quite a difference.

P.S. That's my 100th post Smile
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2012, 02:20 PM by Alex Ros.)
11-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Website Find
thomthom44 Offline

Im glad you enjoy it so far.

your awnsers are here Spoiler allert!
Spoiler below!
Quote:When I reached that library room and earlier room grab that key in a drawer
I found that same "Mansion key in a drawer"
Could you make a screenshot from both drawers if you have the time?

Quote:I found a room where that wooden lever is
Did you use a key to open the door?

Quote:but really don't know what opened or happened..
A bookcase slides open, In the smal libary room.

Quote:Now I'm trapped here every door is locked
Do you have the "Basement Key"? If so leave the map back to the main hall and enter the door under the staircase.

(11-20-2012, 02:18 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: You should delete .map_cache files before releasing CS
Could I just delete them without harming the CS?

Quote: Any screenshots?
You can find them at moddb
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2012, 05:41 PM by thomthom44.)
11-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Website Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(11-20-2012, 05:38 PM)thomthom44 Wrote: Could I just delete them without harming the CS?
Absolutely!

^(;,;)^
11-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

(11-20-2012, 05:38 PM)thomthom44 Wrote:
(11-20-2012, 02:18 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: You should delete .map_cache files before releasing CS
Could I just delete them without harming the CS?
No harm for CS. Honestly. These .map_cache files are automatically generated when you're using Level Editor and they are of no use for players. Just a bIIIIIIg waste of players space. But of course you can leave them on your own comp as long as you're creator and developer...

...I will leave my comments on the story itself a little bit later. I promise. I'm quite intrigued by screenshots Smile
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2012, 07:00 PM by Alex Ros.)
11-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Website Find
thomthom44 Offline

Castle Dorian Bug Fix
As many had problems from the start on I decided to do a quick update with all the problems fixed so smaller bugs could wait for a big "bug fix patch". If you download this file make sure to delete the old one, Because some files are removed.

Bug Fix Notes
  • Removed 50% Of the oil in the game.
  • Removed the lantern + Oil in the "Castle_Entrance" map.
  • Eddited the note in the abandoned house that tells that there is a key under it while its not.
  • Able to go back inside the mansion when left back to the main hall incase you missed somting.
  • Removed the extra Mansion key in the main hall.
  • Added Coliders to protect you from the evil tree's!
  • Removed all map cache's for a more compact file, (And brings decals back to life).

Download

If you downloaded the CS before, delete it. Becouse some folders/files are removed!
https://rapidshare.com/files/3685855953/...n_V1.1.rar
No Moddb Download avadible yet
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2012, 10:26 PM by thomthom44.)
11-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Website Find
Alex Ros Offline

Shit... I just wanted to begin playing (I mean right now) and here I see there's a patch... well OK... but it would be REAL NICE if you could upload updated version somewhere else. It's a real sad story to wait for a authorization on MODDB...
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2012, 10:20 PM by Alex Ros.)
11-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Website Find
thomthom44 Offline

(11-20-2012, 10:17 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: Shit... I just wanted to begin playing (I mean right now) and here I see there's a patch... well OK... but it would be REAL NICE if you could upload updated version somewhere else. It's a real sad story to wait for a authorization on MODDB...
Haha, Ok specialy for the users on Frictional Il upload it now Tongue
Somone told me to use rapidshare so Il give it a try, If the link wont work please comment back.

If you downloaded the CS before, delete it. Becouse some folders/files are removed!

https://rapidshare.com/files/3685855953/...n_V1.1.rar
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2012, 10:26 PM by thomthom44.)
11-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Website Find
Alex Ros Offline

Very mixed and ambivalent feelings after the walkthrough...
---------

On the one hand it's absolutely clear that a lot of work and patience are invested into production of this Custom Story. And that alone is worthy of respect, because objectively most of Custom Stories lacks of elementary investments of time and patience. That's a real win.

Next thing is that those work and patience are invested in attempt to make something unique and stand out from other stories. Nearly the half of the story develops at outdoor areas and these outdoors aren't simply a pack pines. Outdoor areas are quite different one from another and as a result as player I got a very immersive feeling of a journey. That's another one real win.

What is more important that the journey is not just about to show up level design skill, but through that journey I am slowly step by step was merging with the main character of the story. And by the time I finally get to the castle I completely merged with my character, I was William. That's the biggest win of your Custom Story as I personally see it, because it's only a... hmm... only a second one Custom Story which gave me a real feeling of merging with a character.
---------

On the other hand the story itself completely lacks of any intrigue. When I just finished the reading of the description of the Custom Story I already knew everyone is dead, including my mother and likely I would also die in that godforsaken place. There's no unexpected turning points at all, everything is transparent from the very beginning to the very end. I'd say that's a big fail.

Next bad thing is that all of the puzzles are just about finding different things. It's always just about opening a new door, no less, no more. That's also quite a fail. I can explain a bit more about that. The secret is that in truth it's fine to make puzzles in such primitive manner. For example, most of Silent Hill puzzles are just about finding different objects and going on further. I am exaggerating, of course, but it doesn't really matters right now. What is matters is that Silent Hill was real driving me with an extremely mystic-detective-horror intriguing story. And as a player I just wanted to find out what the f**k is going on? But at your story there's no such a driving intrigue. Contrary I knew everything from the very begging.

The last bad thing are scare-moments. Most of them scares were nearly the same. It was always (not always but most of times) only about another one appearance of a monster. There's thousands of possibilities to scare a player, but most of times you were simply spawning a monster in front of me or behind my back. And finally it just became a little bit boring.
---------

Finally I am just confused what to say. I really want to congratulate you with a break-through, but simultaneously I can't do that, cause in general everything is ruined without a well-thought-out intriguing story. As a result I'd say your Custom Story is extremely good thing for a demo version, but surely not good for a final product. The story is a basement and so it's impossible to build up a house without a basement.

I really hope you won't get me wrong. There's no prejudice or negativeness. I love to thank people and love to say their work is the best. But yours is just unfinished as I personally see it. Anyway, my opinion is just a personal opinion. You're free to just ignore it and no problems.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2012, 02:48 AM by Alex Ros.)
11-21-2012, 01:18 AM
Website Find