Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Script Language Reference and Guide
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
RE: Script Language Reference and Guide

that sounds amazing but even if you ported the script you wouldn't have all the amnesia assets at HPL3 or HPL2AAMFP so it wouldn't work without a lot of work and old file transfers
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2013, 03:39 AM by plutomaniac.)
01-30-2013, 03:38 AM
Find
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10

(01-29-2013, 10:56 PM)Acies Wrote:
(01-29-2013, 10:25 PM)Thomas Wrote: Yeah affirmative!
All string return values are const refrereces for our next game. Will see if we will issues a fix for Amnesia, do not want to mess up any mods or so.

Is this a hint at the possibility of porting mods to AMFP or HPL3?

No, (although it's not impossible) - the thing is, me and Adrianis stumbled upon something of a (minor) bug (well, a code design flaw, rather) in Amnesia, which can cause some problems with custom story scripting in some rare usage scenarios (most people will never need to write the kind of script code that can cause the issue, and it doesn't affect the main game, so it's not that much of a problem).

Now, since newer versions of the engine are likely to reuse some of the code from previous versions (a common thing in programming), my concern was that the issue might remain unnoticed and creep its way into HPL3 (and any potential later versions), where it could become a bigger problem - so I notified Thomas about it.

What Thomas is essentially saying is that, (1) although they weren't aware of the problem in Amnesia, they just happened to intuitively code the next game in such a way as to prevent the issue, and that (2) given that the issue doesn't pose too much of a problem for Amnesia, they'll see if they are going to release a patch (fix) for this or not, as such a patch might cause some of the existing custom stories / FCs to work improperly, if the custom stories / FCs in question happen to use this specific kind of approach in their map scripts (but as I said, there's probably, like <1% of them - how you "normally" script doesn't cause the issue).
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2013, 10:57 AM by TheGreatCthulhu.)
01-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

Yeh, its just me finding special/idiotic ways of using the exposed functions, I can't imagine anyone has done it that way before, and maybe never will again - certainly not worth patching Amnesia for, and if the problem has been indirectly solved in HPL3, then no problem! Even in my case, it's a really simple matter of using a standard string type in between GetGlobalVar func and the argument for the function, as in the last example on post #13, then assigning back to the global string via the intended method - the function SetGlobalVar

Thanks for the input Thomas, it is much appreciated

01-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(01-30-2013, 10:55 AM)TheGreatCthulhu Wrote:
(01-29-2013, 10:56 PM)Acies Wrote:
(01-29-2013, 10:25 PM)Thomas Wrote: Yeah affirmative!
All string return values are const refrereces for our next game. Will see if we will issues a fix for Amnesia, do not want to mess up any mods or so.

Is this a hint at the possibility of porting mods to AMFP or HPL3?
What Thomas is essentially saying is that, (1) although they weren't aware of the problem in Amnesia, they just happened to intuitively code the next game in such a way as to prevent the issue, and that (2) given that the issue doesn't pose too much of a problem for Amnesia, they'll see if they are going to release a patch (fix) for this or not, as such a patch might cause some of the existing custom stories / FCs to work improperly, if the custom stories / FCs in question happen to use this specific kind of approach in their map scripts (but as I said, there's probably, like <1% of them - how you "normally" script doesn't cause the issue).
Thanks for taking the time to clear that up for me. Reading Thomas quote again I realize that I misunderstood : ]

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

02-01-2013, 02:05 AM
Find
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10

Hey, thanks for the support, didn't see your post up until now! I'm glad I could contribute; I'm hoping to add some new topics in the future, when I find time.
06-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Find
VeNoMzTeamHysterical Offline

Threads: 36

Sick guide dude, it is very useful for me!

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-21719.html
Evil Awaking Work In Progress!
Hours Spend 472.
06-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Website Find