Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

A little disappointment after announcement of new Amnesia
includeownage Offline

Threads: 1
A little disappointment after announcement of new Amnesia

Hey, guys.

While waiting for the new Amnesia I couldn't keep for myself the feeling of somewhat disappointment. It's like I was happy and excited becuase of the new Frictional Games but at the same time my hopes were crashed.

The reason for it is probably the Penumbra series (Requem and Black Plague). I really loved the "theme" of the series and played through the games several times (the feeling of anxiety always gets to me no matter how many times I beat the game).

While Amnesia is a great game, and I must say it's everything Penumbra had but improved, I would rather play more modern themed game. At the same time not the Penumbra universe.

I was simply hoping for something new. I think that the reputation of Frictional Games can allowed them to safely create new franchise without risking black friday.
By new I mean the same general game engine/mechanics but a different theme.

TL;DR While I will surely buy and play Amnesia with pigs I had hoped that the next Frictional Games title will be something new. Something closer to modern world like Penumbra.

Did only I felt that mix of excitment and somewhat "let down"?
01-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: A little disappointment after announcement of new Amnesia

Quote: While I will surely buy and play Amnesia with pigs I had hoped that the next Frictional Games title will be something new. Something closer to modern world like Penumbra.
Hmm - I'm not sure I understand... You say you want something new, but at the same time you say you'd like a modern setting like Penumbra - which would be something they've done before, therefore not something new. The setting of AAMFP is quite different from both Amnesia and Penumbra (industrial age, therefore exactly between the two times) so except for the name it surely won't be too much like either of the previous games. Smile

Besides, we don't know anything about Frictional's secret project yet. You know, the one they're working on while thechineseroom are making AAMFP? From all we know it could be about the politics of jellyfish aliens from Planet Xiü or whatever Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2013, 12:50 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
01-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Find
includeownage Offline

I mean something more modern but at the same time not the Penumbra franchise which is trapped underground on some god forgotten land. Penumbra was a great mix of modern and industrial and it well fit with the story behind it.

From what I've seen in trailer/teaser and some arts, new Amnesia got the same theme (similar lighting, textures and overall feeling) which is of course normal since it's the same franchise.

Hope I cleared it out.

Whathever their secret project is, it surely won't be another Amnesia. But the waiting...
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2013, 12:52 PM by includeownage.)
01-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

You can only pull the modern-horror story so far; whilst past-time horror stories based on legends give the tale you tell with a story a very mysterious and interesting feel.

Examples:

Penumbra was inspired by the movie "The Thing", but that was an alien-life-form based story. It was a great movie, and penumbra was a great game, but it was still focused on the extra terrestrial. This gives us scenario from which we can make a horror story.

Another story you could present modernly would be one where some sort of apocalypse happens, followed by some infection of sorts. That gives us two scenarios.

Another would be through paranormal activity (not the movie; the actual term.), or something originating from the fictional tales of religion. This gives us three/four scenarios.

You could also mix and match these stories to make some sort of interesting blend, but I wont go into that.

These are, in my opinion, the only kind of scenarios that could work with a modern story, mainly because they make logical sense (although ghosts and religious figures aren't exactly logical, they've still remained present in our minds for thousands of years, and we've constantly pondered about their existence. Same goes with aliens; we're not sure whether or not they exist, but we are completely convinced that they in fact do exist.); whilst in ancient times there were countless legends and myths, where a young horror-story enthusiast could build his/her horror-stories from. Amnesia strongly based their stories on myths, and thus gave a very very interesting story that they could tell, but if one were to make such a story based in modern times, they would be limited by logic-breaks. "Why didn't this guy just call the police" "Why did this guy enter a blatantly obvious haunted house?" "Why DIDn't he just find a gun and shoot the monster?" etc etc.

With society brings a sense of security, where one thinks that because of police and such, then "if something happens to me, i'll still have a chance to survive". Back in the day, we didn't have these urban securities that societies provides us with today. There was no healthcare, and you were basically on your own if something happened to you. This provides you with the concept that you truly are alone. You truly are defenseless, and if shit hits the fan, you're fucked, and you know it.

I get why you can adore the modern setting of a story, but myths and tales, along with basing your stories in the past (such as frictional games has done, and continue to do (i speak on the ways of AMFP, not any future projects)) gives the story more suspicion, more terror, and overall a better horror gaming experience. If guns are incorporated into the picture, that too gives you a sense of security; which is what made Amnesia truly horrifying; the concept of having no means of defense whatsoever.

Hope this cleared things up. Dont be upset with it. Embrace it, rather ^^.

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
01-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Frictional are not even the ones developing AMFP, TheChineseRoom is.

So it will surely be a different experience, simpe as dat.
01-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Find
includeownage Offline

I think it all depends on writers imagination and creativity. Legends and myths are passed on so the point isn't really valid. Like Penumbra proved.

Also the security net should have the opposite effect. Strip it and you can create strong anxious feeling. Like in most horrors and thrillers - deaf phones, not working cell phones etc. Plus it also depends on where the story goes. In my country it's not easy to get weapon for an average person. I believe that is the case in most and if not all european countries.

So I really don't think it really matters when it comes to creating a horror specific game.

The scenario you brought up actually fit very well with Amnesia. The paranormal one. Like all the other can also fit in the industrial. There is really little that can be "invented" when it comes to general story line of horror. But you forgot one major thing. That humans can be scary. HPL engine can be a great ground for a criminal (thriller) horror game.

I generally felt that Penumbra series were learning process of Frictional Games. Overtune was great but Black Plauge changed. You could no longer fight and it was even better. When I played Amnesia it was another lenght better then previous game.

What they give us now is the same Amnesia but with different monsters, general story and characters. Of course that's only predicting as the game is not even here.

Still if it's similiar to first Amnesia I won't complain. It's a great game and I expect nothing else from pigs.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2013, 03:30 PM by includeownage.)
01-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

"Amnesia with pigs". lol
01-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(01-22-2013, 12:26 PM)includeownage Wrote: While I will surely buy and play Amnesia with pigs I had hoped that the next Frictional Games title will be something new. Something closer to modern world like Penumbra.

In AMFP's defense, it will be quite modernized in comparison to TDD.

I rate it 3 memes.
01-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

I believe they will evolve slowly. AMFP seems to happen a few years after ATDD and maybe one they you'll find what you want.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
01-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(01-22-2013, 06:12 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: I believe they will evolve slowly. AMFP seems to happen a few years after ATDD and maybe one they you'll find what you want.

60 years, not just a few years
01-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Find