Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
Work in progress Lucid
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41
RE: It's (Almost) Here: Lillian

(06-17-2013, 11:00 AM)Adrianis Wrote: Fantastic, screens look great, can't wait to see more!
If you want any help with your scripts, feel free to drop me a PM, always happy to help!
I might just have to take you up on that Smile

(06-17-2013, 05:05 PM)Streetboat Wrote: sheeeeeeeeeeeit
Daaaaaaaayum?

(06-18-2013, 09:01 AM)Kman Wrote: your screens have always been like a+ level so i'll look forward to this
A...a...plus? o: Well that's quite an ego boost

(06-18-2013, 09:45 AM)HumiliatioN Wrote: Wow! Saw the pictures and this looks really promising. Good luck man Smile
Hehe, thanks! I'll do my best not to disappoint c:

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
06-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

RE: It's (Almost) Here: Lucid

I was hoping to have something glamorous for the update, but instead I just have a small announcement: A very pivotal plot-point is going to require some voice acting, so I have started writing up a script. I'll post it here for download when it's complete for anyone interested in helping.

I can't say much because I don't want to spoil the plot, so here I go:

Spoiler below!

Necessary characters:
Without these voice actors, Microsoft Sam is going to butcher the game
  • Female, age and accent are unimportant
  • Male 1, same as above - Student
  • Male 2, same as above - Student
  • (Male 3)* same as above
  • (Male 4)* same as above
  • Male 5, adult voice, accent unimportant - Headmaster
* If Male 1 and 2 can speak with 2 different voices, 3 and 4 are unnecessary

I would do the only female voice to limit the number of people required, but I have a terrible mic and I choke up when I'm nervous.

Also, I'm really sorry for the lack of female characters (this failed the Bechdel Test :P), the player doesn't directly interact with other human beings. Instead, he hears people - students mainly - from the academy who lived centuries before he did. Due to the time which these students came from and the beliefs about women and education at the time, female students would be improbable.

... it'll make more sense when I'm not trying to conceal spoilers

Not-Vital but Really, Really Useful Part(s):
If I get really generic, I can solve these issues through notes, but not many people read the written parts of custom stories. The other option would be Microsoft Sam, and that would sound absolutely terrifying (especially since I have no skill in editing Sammy's voice to sound more realistic).
  • Person 1: Provides an introduction through multiple voice messages left on Peregrine's answering machine while the player wanders around the house in a half-conscious daze. No specific age, gender, or accent required

Sorry! I'll have a nice screenshot soon! I've been working away at my first outdoor area, so the Screenshot Criticism Thread will probably see it before this thread does :D

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2013, 09:19 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
07-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: Lucid [Looking for Voice Actors]

Hey, I want to help in this too! If you need custom models, tell me! This story seems great Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
07-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

That's really kind of you :) I will definitely let you know if I find myself in need of custom models :D

07-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Find
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27

Hey Kiandra! Any progress?
Also, can you show us a picture directly from the level editor.
Would be awesome to see your mapping skills from another perspective Smile

- Inactive account -
07-05-2013, 02:17 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Oh, um, sorry for the late reply! Yeah, there's been a bit of progress. I'm moving slower than a snail, but the voice-acting script is being completed at 1 section per day, so I think that's good.

Sure I can take some new screenshots. I'll just throw everything into the same picture so I don't exceed some sort of limit :p
Spoiler below!

I had to brighten up the last one since my in-game gamma was darker than I expected. Didn't notice until after I changed maps and started taking other screenshots, so I just used photoshop :) Other than that (and the obvious text), no edits were made to any of the images.[Image: batchscreenshots_1_by_rueppells_fox-d6c71l5.png]
Little bit about the screenshots since I might as well say something:

Guest Suites (map #11) - I had to group and delete a whole bunch of script areas and things because this map is really important and I didn't want to give anything away :p Anyways, this is where guest professors, lecturers, and visiting families would have stayed at the academy. It was the first map I ever made in the history of ever. Since I created it, I've been building on it and changing it a ton.

Atrium (map #09) - Quite obviously (and shamelessly) modeled off of the Back Hall. It's the second main-hub area, the first being the Entrance Hall. They're not super far apart, but enough happens between them that this one is needed. I shut off the global fog to take this screenshot because you wouldn't be able to see anything otherwise. This area would have been shut off to students later on due to the cave-in between the Entrance Hall and the Dining Hall

Entrance Hall (map # 03) - the first inside view of the academy the player will get. I'm working on the outside at the moment. Hardarm helped me a ton with the detailing and architecture. At one point, I was going to replace the central pillar with a spiral staircase that lead to an astrology tower... It didn't have a significant enough connection to the story to be worth the extra effort unfortunately (I'm still really tempted to make the tower) The area leads to the Biology and Chemistry Wings as well as the Dining Hall (and maybe an astrology tower :p).

Anyways, um, thanks for showing interest in the CS :) I'm still not really adapted to having people pay attention to stuff I do.

07-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Find
Artyom Offline

The screens don't tell me that much of the layout(they're almost pitch black for me) but it's certainly better than nothing. Also do you like Harry Potter. When you mentioned the tower I instantly thoght harry potter haha Wink Anyways I think It looks great so far, there's finaly a good reason for walking around a castle and not some "you wake up with no memory of this place" that'd to repetetive.

Keep up the good work! Smile

- Inactive account -
07-07-2013, 02:57 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

They're black!? Good to hear another opinion, my screen makes them look almost too bright. Here, I cranked up the brightness an ungodly amount on all of them:
Spoiler below!

[Image: batchscreenshots_1_brightened_by_rueppel...6cc1f0.png]

And, in case it's just the site and not the screenshots causing the problem, here are the direct links to the website I uploaded them on:
Brightened Version
Original Version

And yes, I do like Harry Potter :D

07-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Find
Artyom Offline

Muuuch better! Think It seems dark because I'm on my tablet. Great screens though the entrance hall looks really majestic!

Keep up the good work Big Grin

- Inactive account -
07-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Hey, guys, guys, guys!
Lucid has an ModDB page now
That's it. That's the only announcement - other than it's 3am and I'm working on the manuscript.

Overall Progress:
Approaching 50% completion
Some areas are severely lacking, others are completed and polished with a ridiculous amount of shine. It all balances out quite evenly.

Spoiler below!

I'm definitely not just posting because it's been really quiet on the development forum lately. Nope.

(This post was last modified: 07-17-2013, 09:58 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
07-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Find