Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Need a little help, please?
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
RE: Need a little help, please?

(01-11-2014, 03:07 PM)Robert Wrote: Not intending to get a super CPU here. Just something that can help over my current one, just like with the GPU earlier during the thread.

It's the socket that's the main limitation, and wasn't sure about that stuff just yet. Now I know.

Sure, that's understandable but it mainly depends on the budget. If you want to look for it on your own, that's fine. Just saying... Wink
01-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

As long as my mobo can handle a CPU with 4 cores, that's all I need to look for. And like I said earlier, not intending a super CPU here. Heck, even a quad-core CPU with each core at around 3GHZ if fine by me. I'm not a money bag here, otherwise I'd go higher than what I'm currently looking.

Suggestion are all welcome, btw.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014, 03:16 PM by Robby.)
01-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

(01-11-2014, 03:12 PM)Robert Wrote: As long as my mobo can handle a CPU with 4 cores, that's all I need to look for. And like I said earlier, not intending a super CPU here. Heck, even a quad-core CPU with each core at around 3GHZ if fine by me.

Indeed, you should be fine with a 4-core as well. The reason I mentioned the above is because this platform is long-dead meaning that even if you upgrade, games might be bottlenecked by even a 4-core 3GHz cpu. But you are right that it's better to get a good 4-core Phenom II rather than a cheaper 6-core one.

EDIT: Oh suggestions are welcome? That's what I was asking for the last 3-4 posts, whether you wanted to look for it on your own or take suggestions. Wink
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014, 03:18 PM by plutomaniac.)
01-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Well the trick is the socket itself. AM3 is not too popular, from what I see. I found a similar CPU on the same socket, being a simple Athlon II X2 260. Which doesn't mean too much, only an extra 400MHZ to the entire mix.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
01-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

(01-11-2014, 03:20 PM)Robert Wrote: Well the trick is the socket itself. AM3 is not too popular, from what I see. I found a similar CPU on the same socket, being a simple Athlon II X2 260. Which doesn't mean too much, only an extra 400MHZ to the entire mix.

AM3 is popular as with a lot of AMD's sockets and that's because that company likes to keep every socket for many years and cpu generations.

NO! Do not upgrade to a dual-core for any reason even for 1GHz up. You will just be wasting your money. Exclamation
01-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Won't be doing that anyway.

And if AM3 is popular, could you leave some suggestions then? I did look in some of my "romanian" websites, but I'm only finding 2-3 CPU's on the same socket, most weaker than the current one.

01-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

You cannot buy these cpu's anymore if that's what you mean. They're too old to be available anymore and even if they are somewhere they will probably try to rip you off. Only ebay and stuff. I'm looking...
01-11-2014, 03:26 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Ebay... I did hear about it, but I'm not sure if they do transports in Romania too.

And here's another interesting thing. I did find some CPUs that have AM3+ sockets. But what does that help with? Does that mean that it'll support AM3 only, or is that something else?

Unless I understood incorrectly and my mobo has a different socket, but then why would my CPU with an AM3 socket work that way?

01-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Spoiler below!
The AM3+ socket is required for the FX series of processors based on Bulldozer.

AM3 supports Athlon II/Phenom II
AM3+ supports Athlon II/Phenom II/FX
To make it easier for you, search for such cpu's and then check the CPU list I gave above if it's included there. That's the best way to see if something is compatible.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014, 03:32 PM by plutomaniac.)
01-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Alright, will look through such CPUs then. But still a bit unsure of the AM3+/AM3 deal. Correct me if wrong, but a CPU with AM3+ should work on a mobo with AM3, right?

Just learning this entire stuff now, I know mostly about GPUs and such, so it ain't much of a worry.

01-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Website Find