Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to change Servant Grunt texture/material?
GoreGrinder99 Offline

Threads: 47
How to change Servant Grunt texture/material?

How to I go about changing the texture and/or the material of the Servant Grunt? I have seen Statyk's tutorial on re-texturing a bottle but I couldn't find the dds connected to the Grunt.

I have also changed the material of the grunt multiple times in the Material Editor and when I load up the changed file in the Model Editor for my Grunt, it appears as it should but when placed into a map, it is the standard Grunt.

How do I go about changing both of these?

-Grind to the Gore-
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2013, 07:23 AM by GoreGrinder99.)
09-25-2013, 01:19 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: How to change Servant Grunt texture/material?

It's in it's folder. "Amnesia the Dark Descent > Entities > Enemy > Servant_Grunt > servant_grunt.dds"
09-25-2013, 02:08 AM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

(09-25-2013, 02:08 AM)Rapture Wrote: It's in it's folder. "Amnesia the Dark Descent > Entities > Enemy > Servant_Grunt > servant_grunt.dds"

Yes, but that is just the texture, correct? How would I go about changing the mat file assigned to the Grunt?

-Grind to the Gore-
09-25-2013, 02:14 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

I'm a little confused to why you would want to change the ".mat" file, but to do that you just open it up (Same directory as the Grunt, called "servant_grunt.mat") and change what is under the "Diffuse", "NMap" and "Specular" sections.
<Material>
    <Main DepthTest="True" PhysicsMaterial="Default" Type="SolidDiffuse" />
    <TextureUnits>
        <Diffuse AnimFrameTime="" AnimMode="" File="servant_grunt.dds" Mipmaps="true" Type="2D" Wrap="Repeat" />
        <NMap AnimFrameTime="" AnimMode="" File="servant_grunt_nrm.dds" Mipmaps="true" Type="2D" Wrap="Repeat" />
        <Specular AnimFrameTime="" AnimMode="" File="servant_grunt_spec.dds" Mipmaps="true" Type="2D" Wrap="Repeat" />
    </TextureUnits>
    <SpecificVariables>
        <Var Name="HeightMapScale" Value="0.05" />
        <Var Name="HeightMapBias" Value="0" />
        <Var Name="FrenselBias" Value="0.2" />
        <Var Name="FrenselPow" Value="8" />
    </SpecificVariables>
</Material>
I mean it's already set up for you, so I would think the only thing you would be interested in changing are the actual "Texture.dds" files already associated with it.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2013, 02:21 AM by Rapture.)
09-25-2013, 02:20 AM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

(09-25-2013, 02:20 AM)Rapture Wrote: I'm a little confused to why you would want to change the ".mat" file, but to do that you just open it up (Same directory as the Grunt, called "servant_grunt.mat") and change what is under the "Diffuse", "NMap" and "Specular" sections.
<Material>
    <Main DepthTest="True" PhysicsMaterial="Default" Type="SolidDiffuse" />
    <TextureUnits>
        <Diffuse AnimFrameTime="" AnimMode="" File="servant_grunt.dds" Mipmaps="true" Type="2D" Wrap="Repeat" />
        <NMap AnimFrameTime="" AnimMode="" File="servant_grunt_nrm.dds" Mipmaps="true" Type="2D" Wrap="Repeat" />
        <Specular AnimFrameTime="" AnimMode="" File="servant_grunt_spec.dds" Mipmaps="true" Type="2D" Wrap="Repeat" />
    </TextureUnits>
    <SpecificVariables>
        <Var Name="HeightMapScale" Value="0.05" />
        <Var Name="HeightMapBias" Value="0" />
        <Var Name="FrenselBias" Value="0.2" />
        <Var Name="FrenselPow" Value="8" />
    </SpecificVariables>
</Material>
I mean it's already set up for you, so I would think the only thing you would be interested in changing are the actual "Texture.dds" files already associated with it.

I figured it out, thank you for the help!

-Grind to the Gore-
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2013, 06:28 AM by GoreGrinder99.)
09-25-2013, 02:36 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...Re-Texture

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
09-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

Um actually, not solved... I got it to load properly with the new textures in the game but it is static, no animations, no sounds, no nothing, I can even walk through it. In the level editor however it has it's standard animation... What do I do now?!

I changed both .dds files to plain black.

I directed both materials to their respective .dds files.

I changed the lines to direct to the .dds files in the .dea file as well.

Not sure what I could have done to make this happen.

Well Damn... It was set as a static object in the model editor... So, I need to re-assign everything to it... Is there a shortcut anyone knows of?

-Grind to the Gore-
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2013, 07:32 AM by GoreGrinder99.)
09-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(09-25-2013, 07:22 AM)GoreGrinder99 Wrote: Um actually, not solved... I got it to load properly with the new textures in the game but it is static, no animations, no sounds, no nothing, I can even walk through it. In the level editor however it has it's standard animation... What do I do now?!

Well Damn... It was set as a static object in the model editor... So, I need to re-assign everything to it... Is there a shortcut anyone knows of?

...You need another servant_grunt model. Or if you would go to the hard work and re-rig him again.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
09-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

(09-25-2013, 08:35 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:
(09-25-2013, 07:22 AM)GoreGrinder99 Wrote: Um actually, not solved... I got it to load properly with the new textures in the game but it is static, no animations, no sounds, no nothing, I can even walk through it. In the level editor however it has it's standard animation... What do I do now?!

...You need another servant_grunt model. Or if you would go to the hard work and re-rig him again.

I took the original Grunt .ent and replaced it with the edited one and renamed it to what I had and it worked in game except it was the original game Grunt and not my edit. I went back to the editor and imported it which I forgot to do and it went straight back to what it was doing before, nothing, but it did in fact show as the proper end product I created. I tried to add the animations but once I got to the Walk animation I couldn't continue because it kept telling me that a field was blank when in fact nothing was and I had clicked enter on every box at least 10 times.

-Grind to the Gore-
09-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(09-25-2013, 09:05 AM)GoreGrinder99 Wrote:
(09-25-2013, 08:35 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:

I took the original Grunt .ent and replaced it with the edited one and renamed it to what I had and it worked in game except it was the original game Grunt and not my edit. I went back to the editor and imported it which I forgot to do and it went straight back to what it was doing before, nothing, but it did in fact show as the proper end product I created. I tried to add the animations but once I got to the Walk animation I couldn't continue because it kept telling me that a field was blank when in fact nothing was and I had clicked enter on every box at least 10 times.

If you want me to send you the original files, I could, but atleast get on Skype.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
09-25-2013, 09:19 AM
Find