Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in progress The Innocence
Xroph Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Amnesia - The Abandoned Ruins

thomthom44 Wrote:a bit long for a custom story
That's the point. There are so many custom stories. I wanted to make something new that is totally different to other custom stories. I know 48 hours is very long and it appears to be impossible, but I will do it. More play time than the game has itself, wouldn't it be awesome? No matter how many time I will need for this project, even if I need one or two years, I'm going to make it. Many people told me they don't believe in my work. It is very disturbing to read those comments. If you want to rate the mod, then wait until I finished.

11-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Website Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Great project! I will follow this (when I am on the forum). Big Grin
Just hope that the 48 hour bracket lives up to its name, as Amnesia, and AAMFP didn't really come anywhere close to that through my experience.

If it's not too much to ask, could I get your Launcher source code?
I'm learning VB.Net, so it would be handy in learning from others who can do similar things.
I made a very simple Launcher so I know what I am doing.

Of course, would credit you in every way if I used your code Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2013, 09:36 AM by Romulator.)
11-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Find
Xroph Offline

The launcher was the easiest thing Big Grin I'm reletively advanced in VB, and in VB C# aswell. I sent you a PM with the source code.

11-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(11-12-2013, 07:51 AM)Xroph Wrote: Many people told me they don't believe in my work. It is very disturbing to read those comments. If you want to rate the mod, then wait until I finished.

I don't mean to doubt you, but those people honestly have every right to do so given what you expect out of yourself. Many Triple A games nowadays spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on their games with massive teams, multiple years of work of people working full-time, and most clock in at around 10 hours.

I'm not saying that you can't have dreams, but try to find a balance between your ideals, and being realistic, because frankly speaking 48 hours of time for a mod, especially an Amnesia HPL2 mod is really pushing the boundaries of being realistic in terms of workload, and working overtime over two years might not even be enough especially considering you'll likely be without industry level skills.

Even putting aside the insane amounts of workload you would need to make this, you would have another layer of work cut out for you to make all 48 hours of the experience engaging. Longer does not always mean better, and you would need the sharpest of minds to keep the experience consistent in quality without dipping, or feeling dragged through the entire playtime.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2013, 03:05 PM by Kreekakon.)
11-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Find
Xroph Offline

(11-12-2013, 02:50 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: I don't mean to doubt you, but those people honestly have every right to do so given what you expect out of yourself.
What gives you the right to doubt? I spend my freetime with this project, and this is just for fun. I don't want to earn money or what, so nobody have the right to doubt. Either he/she waits for the mod and enjoy it, or he/she doesn't. But if you say that there is a reason to doubt my work or my ambition, then I think it was a mistake to publish this project.

Kreekakon Wrote:especially an Amnesia HPL2 mod is really pushing the boundaries of being realistic in terms of workload

It's right, that it is a lot of work. That's why I'm searching for help. If nobody want to help, then I'll finish it alone.
I never said it would be the best game EVER. I even don't know what you imagine. I'm using the HPL Engine. I have to do other things aswell. I wanted to do this, and I think with time and helping people it is possible.

For the last time: Please stop posting those comments, or I won't publish it. If you think that it's impossible, or childish, or what so ever, then just keep this opinion for you! When I said I want to hear your opinion, I didn't mean I want to hear: This project will never be reality or "It's impossible" or what ever. It really makes me angry and sad, that so many people obviously try to talk me out of this project.

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2013, 05:08 PM by Xroph.)
11-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(11-12-2013, 05:01 PM)Xroph Wrote: What gives you the right to doubt? I spend my freetime with this project, and this is just for fun. I don't want to earn money or what, so nobody have the right to doubt. Either he/she waits for the mod and enjoy it, or he/she doesn't. But if you say that there is a reason to doubt my work or my ambition, then I think it was a mistake to publish this project.

My main point was that if you put out a 48 hour playtime expectation, which is easily four times longer than commercial games, I'd find it very hard to believe that no one ever had a fleeting thought of skepticism go through their minds.

(11-12-2013, 05:01 PM)Xroph Wrote: I never said it would be the best game EVER. I even don't know what you imagine. I'm using the HPL Engine. I have to do other things aswell. I wanted to do this, and I think with time and helping people it is possible.

Yes, it is very much possible, but how well have you planned out your workflow? For something this massive you're going to need to be extremely organized to prevent the entire project from collapsing into a jumbled mess. When there are more people besides yourself on a team, you will have to put out even more work to properly communicate with each other. All of this effort to keep things in check, and of quality is amplified level upon level by the 48 hour length.

The mod I'm working on right now will not be expected to be longer than four hours at maximum, and even I'm starting to see the chaotic effects of trying to keep everything in check so it doesn't all fall apart. Imagine how insane it would be to do 48 hours. It's not really a matter of effort by this point. It's organization skill...and 48 hours is pushing what may very well be humanly possible for hobbyist modders like us.

(11-12-2013, 05:01 PM)Xroph Wrote: I don't say it again: Please stop posting those comments, or I won't publish it.

If you want to make your mod that badly, then why would you stop publishing it just because some people are showing doubt? It should not really affect your final decision on whether or not you want to make this mod (At most just be taken into consideration). If you want to make a mod, and you think of it as your dream...then go do it, and don't let any of us stop you.

----------------------------------

What I'm mainly trying to say is speaking out of concern for you, and your project. Mainly what I fear is that you'll work your ass off to bring us this 48 hour mod, but it will fail to be compelling because it will be dragged over 48 hours of length which will seem very padded. And no offense, but I do not think you, or anyone on this forum has the ability to make an adventure/story driven 48 hour long game to feel good, and not padded out. It would basically be you working more for a lesser project.

What I would suggest to you is that you do not over obsess over the play length of the mod, and use the precise time necessary to tell whatever story you wish to tell. I find it very hard to believe that the best iteration of your story will truly take 48 hours to tell. If you cut down on the length, you'll most likely be able to produce a higher quality mod with better pacing, and ultimately less work needed. Why not opt for this route?

Ultimately all of what I'm saying here is being said out of concern, and should only be taken as advice. If you still insist on pushing forward this 48 hour ideal of yours then by all means push forward with what you want to do! Trust me, if you really do succeed, and produce a good 48 hour mod...I'll be very happy for you, and you can feel free to rub everything I just said in my face. All I ask is you at least think this through properly that it is really what you want before really going forth with it.

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2013, 05:25 PM by Kreekakon.)
11-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Find
Xroph Offline

Kreekakon Wrote:you're going to need to be extremely organized
I AM organized. I thought a proof for it is my first post. I planned every level, the story and so on in advance. The organisation is no problem.

Kreekakon Wrote:why would you stop publishing it just because some people are showing doubt
I would stop publishing it, because If I don't post news or whatevery, you stop with disturbing me with those comments. Can't you understand, that it is no help?
Oh, and I didn't say I wouldn't work further on it, then, I just wouldn't publish it and give it to my friends or what ever.

Kreekakon Wrote:When there are more people besides yourself on a team, you will have to
put out even more work to properly communicate with each other.
In my view, it is not that hard. You just have to distribute the tasks good. For example: One people creates the enemies. While he creates an enemie, I create the map where the monster shoulp appear, and use a monster like grunt oder brute as a placeholder. In the moment my team (2 people) is creating textures for levels. While they're working on it, I create other levels. A few words to this level creation, has to do with the organisation thing, too. If I have a good idea for a level, I create it directly with a few planes, objects and so on. Then I know which levels should be edited.

Kreekakon Wrote:Mainly what I fear is that you'll work your ass off to bring us this 48
hour mod, but it will fail to be compelling because it will be dragged
over 48 hours of length which will seem very padded.

Well, it's true that it's hard to keep the excitement. That's why I had another idea: Maybe I'll split the mod into two parts, so that the players are excited and want to play further.

Kreekakon Wrote:If you want to make a mod, and you think of it as your dream...then go do it, and don't let any of us stop you.

...What do you suggest? What should I do? Do you want me to decrease the play time? Would you like it more, then? Or do you think it would be good, if I split the game in two parts, aswell.
I want to get a lot interested people who are excited for this mod. So I want to make everyone happy. If you have an idea to improve the mod, then please tell me. I'm really looking forward to hear your suggestion to this point.

11-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(11-12-2013, 06:01 PM)Xroph Wrote: I AM organized. I thought a proof for it is my first post. I planned every level, the story and so on in advance. The organisation is no problem.

Speaking from personal experience making that first OP post is only the start of organizing a complete mod. When you actually get into the deeper parts of development there are quite a lot of details you have to pay attention to.

(11-12-2013, 06:01 PM)Xroph Wrote: I would stop publishing it, because If I don't post news or whatevery, you stop with disturbing me with those comments. Can't you understand, that it is no help?
Oh, and I didn't say I wouldn't work further on it, then, I just wouldn't publish it and give it to my friends or what ever.

If I'm going to be completely frank, there are two problems I find with this:

One which is you might not likely get many of these sort of comments at all beyond announcing the mod. No offense, but your mod is not an extremely anticipated mod like Black Mesa, or something like that. None of ours are. Comments will not really be something that you'll be swarmed by, and be immensely bothered with super often.

Two which is you really shouldn't be deterred from working, and sharing your work with all of us just because of some comments like these, especially since many of them are likely out of concern at their core.

(11-12-2013, 06:01 PM)Xroph Wrote: In my view, it is not that hard. You just have to distribute the tasks good. For example: One people creates the enemies. While he creates an enemie, I create the map where the monster shoulp appear, and use a monster like grunt oder brute as a placeholder. In the moment my team (2 people) is creating textures for levels. While they're working on it, I create other levels. A few words to this level creation, has to do with the organisation thing, too. If I have a good idea for a level, I create it directly with a few planes, objects and so on. Then I know which levels should be edited.

See above on what I said about the matter. Still if you think you're up to it, then by all means go ahead! Smile

(11-12-2013, 06:01 PM)Xroph Wrote: Well, it's true that it's hard to keep the excitement. That's why I had another idea: Maybe I'll split the mod into two parts, so that the players are excited and want to play further.

That might be a good idea since it lets you tackle some issues with part 2 after part 1 comes out depending on feedback. Although I still kind of think 24 hours for each part might still be a bit excessive.

(11-12-2013, 06:01 PM)Xroph Wrote: ...What do you suggest? What should I do? Do you want me to decrease the play time? Would you like it more, then? Or do you think it would be good, if I split the game in two parts, aswell.
I want to get a lot interested people who are excited for this mod. So I want to make everyone happy. If you have an idea to improve the mod, then please tell me. I'm really looking forward to hear your suggestion to this point.

Mainly this:

Quote:If you cut down on the length, you'll most likely be able to produce a higher quality mod with better pacing, and ultimately less work needed. Why not opt for this route?

Image by BandyGrass
11-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Find
Xroph Offline

I'm going to think about that.

Edit: Here it is: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-abandoned-...t-the-game
The players can vote. Personally, I like the idea to split the game, because I can do changes in the second part. It has many advantages.

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2013, 07:41 PM by Xroph.)
11-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Website Find
ZyLogicX Offline

Threads: 24

[Image: suggestions.jpg]

Beyond the Mountains of Madness [15%]
This forum is dying.
11-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Find