Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
map_cache files?
KiraImmortal Offline

Threads: 32
map_cache files?

hello there!

i'm making progress with my amnesia - a machine for pigs mod (still i write it down here, cause the experienced modders are all gathered here), i still have no idea how to make it a full conversion mod in the end, but i'm sure i'll find a solution.

now.. what my problem is that editing the original maps of amfp have one little problem. there are files (in TDD also) called map_cache files. what are these for? how is it possible to edit them? i think they're some sort of 'saves' of the map itself, which contains objects and scripts written inside (they're quite big in filesize). when i make them empty, the phone-calls (you know if you played amfp) are not working in game, everything else is fine. but i want to bring those calls back to work, if i don't the cache files, i can't delete any objects from the original maps, they will stay in game.

any ideas? Smile
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013, 07:04 PM by KiraImmortal.)
12-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: map_cache files?

Strange, the map_cache files for AAMFP must have been changed then, since in TDD they were not necesary and infact deleting them would be the thing to do if you were doing a Custom story or mod
12-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Find
KiraImmortal Offline

everything works here also, i modified many things, added bonus quests and maps, everything works fine, except these phone calls. this is by the way some sort of unofficial patch, i'll try to bring back sanity drain and other things later. inventory and oil are impossible i think, i have no idea for the lantern fuel and so on. but i'm trying to bring back challenge from the first Amnesia.
12-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

map_cache files are sort of save files for maps, and are made whenever you run the map from the game. When they are run, they take the contents of the map and store them into the file. When the game then runs the map, it looks for the .map and the .map_cache, and will load the cached because it is faster to load that than the map.

Normally however, because the map_cache doesn't update whenever you save your map, it will usually be an outdated version and make a crappy test run :3

I got no idea why the phones don't work though.. They would normally be triggered by Script_areas and collision callbacks, at least from a devs POV.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2013, 12:45 AM by Romulator.)
12-12-2013, 12:45 AM
Find
KiraImmortal Offline

that's what i do not see in the script file, the normal addeffectvoice method, like i did in my cs also. btw i'll add them to script it'll probably work normally. this game has many bugs as i've noticed, i got so much work on fixing them, but it'll worth the effort i hope.
12-15-2013, 12:50 AM
Find