Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Why Are There No Guns In Overture?
Im_Sexy Offline

Threads: 21
RE: Why Are There No Guns In Overture?

If we had guns on Overture, all the fun was gone although those damn dog bastards are hard to kill.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2008, 01:25 AM by noctislp.)
12-27-2008, 01:25 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

Well, I think people are overreacting on the gun question. Being able to shoot your enemies doesn't make you feel safe at all, if you do it right. If the enemies are fast and take lots of damage, say the imps from Doom 3, they are still scary. In Doom 3 you've got pretty many weapons, but you still feel very insecure because you know that an imp can pop up around a corner and kill you before you get a chance of shooting it. Even if you kill it in time, you'll still have taken damage.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
12-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Find
Petike Offline

Threads: 35

(12-26-2008, 07:47 PM)jamhaw Wrote: Well I think that it would be great to have a flintlock in Lux Tenebras (though we should probably have at least one enemy with a ranged attack) you would have a finite amount of powder and perhaps three shots. You wouldn't be very good at aiming and it would make a poor melee weapon, so it would if anything increase the tension.

The combat in Lux Tenebras should be done in a manner similiar to either Clive Barker's Undying , Call of Cthulhu : The Dark Corners of the Earth, Condemned : Criminal Origins and... Penumbra Overture, of course... Big Grin: Or like one of the Thief games, but with an 18.-19. century feel. Wink: Stealth, melee and shooter elements combined into a nice blend.

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
12-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Find
Dontar Offline

Threads: 0

heck ya, Thief series woulda PWN on this engine.
12-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Oh yeah, that would be awesome! Big Grin:

By the way, if you have bought Doom 3, there's some sort of Thief series mod for it!
It's called: The Dark Mod.

If I remember correctly, I found this out when I was searching something about Thief series.

12-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Website Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

(12-27-2008, 01:15 PM)Kedjane Wrote: Well, I think people are overreacting on the gun question. Being able to shoot your enemies doesn't make you feel safe at all, if you do it right. If the enemies are fast and take lots of damage, say the imps from Doom 3, they are still scary. In Doom 3 you've got pretty many weapons, but you still feel very insecure because you know that an imp can pop up around a corner and kill you before you get a chance of shooting it. Even if you kill it in time, you'll still have taken damage.

only problem with this, is that an imp or arch-ville, etc are demons. they're strong, some stronger than others. a dog is not strong. a spider can die by just stepping on them.
it wouldn't take much at all to kill them. and I sort of agree with one that said, you want one gun, sooner or later, you'd want more. shooting takes away the fun. but it's like I said before, or at least I think I did.
some things are better in some places, and not other places. Call of Duty without guns, BAD IDEA! Playing Mortal Kombat with yourself (and I mean in the game, no opponent), bad idea.
And if anyone knows Descent III and online, there is one game, capture the flag on one map where you're stuck in your own area with no means of getting out, BAD IDEA.
You get the picture. Penumbra is about survival without guns, rocket launchers, grenades, having guns in there is just a bad idea.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2008, 10:34 PM by Greatred.)
12-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

(12-27-2008, 10:33 PM)Jeremy-Bailey Wrote: only problem with this, is that an imp or arch-ville, etc are demons. they're strong, some stronger than others. a dog is not strong. a spider can die by just stepping on them.
it wouldn't take much at all to kill them. and I sort of agree with one that said, you want one gun, sooner or later, you'd want more. shooting takes away the fun. but it's like I said before, or at least I think I did.
some things are better in some places, and not other places. Call of Duty without guns, BAD IDEA! Playing Mortal Kombat with yourself (and I mean in the game, no opponent), bad idea.
And if anyone knows Descent III and online, there is one game, capture the flag on one map where you're stuck in your own area with no means of getting out, BAD IDEA.
You get the picture. Penumbra is about survival without guns, rocket launchers, grenades, having guns in there is just a bad idea.

You wouldn't want more. You'd take what you get. If I heard it right there's just one gun in Condemned, which you get to use every now and then. In the very beginning you just use it for a little while before it gets taken away from you by an enemy (scripted sequence) and he runs off with it.
What demons being stronger than dogs have to do with anything I don't quite get. Naturally, if there was a gun in Penumbra there could be different enemies aswell. You wouldn't put a gravity gun into the game without putting in a puzzle that required gravity manipulation. You could also put in a few more enemies, if the gun's got several shots.
I can imagine in the Penumbra games. It could be used to shoot a dog or perhaps a tuurngait guy (it was pretty annoying not being able to kill them). Perhaps use it when hunted by a pack of dogs. Anything like that. Perhaps you'd use it to simply blast away illusions created by Clarence. Naturally when you add a new feature into a game you change the rest of the game to go well with it.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
12-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

my only point is, if a demon takes several hits to die, and there are others around (or even a solo tough demon), it can be tense or even scary. You'd almost have to make the penumbra creatures stronger to make it scary.
Part of the reason I like Penumbra is because I don't have to use any sort of gun. even if I want to badly.
a gun that has a 50/50 chance in even firing, maybe, or one of those real stubborn ones that are old, rusty, hard to fire, if you were shaking so much, it'd be hard to fire, than maybe, but in a way, it feels like a cheat code then.
is there a way to mod the game, have guns and see what it's like? it may be fun to try it out. who knows
12-28-2008, 06:07 AM
Find