Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Games like the Penumbra series?
m1dy Offline

Threads: 3
Games like the Penumbra series?

I have played and beaten all 3 of the Penumbra games no more than a day or two after each of them were released. I'm a HUGE fan, I consider the Penumbra series to be my favorite games alongside System Shock 2 and Duke Nukem 3D (that's saying a lot, I'm very picky with games).

I'll cut to the chase now -- Penumbra has left me with an unending desire for an extremely scary first person game with brilliant puzzles, very similar to what Penumbra did so flawlessly. Which leads me to my question written in the thread subject: Does anyone know of any games very similar to Penumbra? Or at least comparable to Penumbra's all-around quality? It doesn't have to be exactly like it... but something that's first person, scary and has clever puzzles is more or less what I'm craving.

Thanks in advance to the community for the great suggestions that are sure to come and thank you Frictional Games for giving me a horror experience that I'll NEVER forget. I'm really looking forward to the game you guys are currently working on. :3
06-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Games like the Penumbra series?

I strongly recommend you to read through this thread: http://frictionalgames.com/forum/showthr...p?tid=2289

I hope you'll find something interesting. Smile

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
06-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Find
bugmenot Offline

Threads: 21

THe silent hill series are some great adventureish games with occasional sorta crappy combat like penumbra. Especially silent hill 2 which is the best in the series by miles
Also Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened is pretty rad and eerie at times but dont touch the other sherlock holmes games
06-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I don't see why you guys find the combat so hard...

Thief series?

Not really a HORROR game, but very good atmosphere and gameplay is awesome! (Considering that the first two games are from late 90' and you can throw stuff in the game...)
Almost 'unlimited' missions (considering the Fan missions that you can download for free)...

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2009, 11:01 AM by Ano.)
06-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Website Find
Shados Offline

Threads: 0

I'd like to say Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is similar in a lot of ways.
06-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Find
Droogie Offline

Threads: 0

I've been playing through Cryostasis, it's a bit more combat oriented than Penumbra but it definitely sports a similar atmosphere of exploring a desolated place full of history.

I'm going to get Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth when it becomes available on steam.
06-16-2009, 02:26 AM
Find
darkestlight Offline

Threads: 1

I recommend Clive Barker's Undying?

Well it's actually a FPS game, but the storyline and the fiction is very good...
If you like occultish horror games, ancient Celt myths, demons and the Ireland atmosphere, you have to play it Big Grin
07-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

Welll, Call of Cthulhu is quite similar to penumbra, it even has an H.P Lovecraft inspired storyline.
There is another thread about survival horror games with a big list, here: http://frictionalgames.com/forum/showthr...289&page=9

EDIT: i see nackidno beat me to the punch :p:

Not an image
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2009, 02:08 AM by ARes88.)
07-14-2009, 02:07 AM
Find
Fred
Unregistered

Cryostasis indeed is another great game, however, in my opinion has been released a few years too early (not in a bad way, but it's very badly optimized for hardware besides Nvidia):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrBAPqMXH_U?fmt=22
07-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Guyra Offline

Threads: 2

I would agree that Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is a good game, and has similarities with Penumbra, and both are highly inspired by Lovecraft. But I've said it before, and I'll say it again: It ends up becoming an FPS halfway through, which ruins the horror part of it.

I did see a flash point & click game which was VERY well made some months ago, though. It would be a rather short game, even compared to Penumbra, as it's only a web browser game, but still... Too bad I don't remember it. There are some interesting web browser games, though. Smile
08-06-2009, 03:29 AM
Find