Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Motion blur
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
Motion blur

I always liked how when your framerate lowered in Penumbra and the motion blur was turned on, the motion blur would get larger in the lower framerate and make it seem a bit more like a sort of horror effect. Sometimes I took Fraps videos just to lower my framerate and make the game look cooler in the scariest parts.
However, I don't really like a low framerate but I think it would be really awesome if you were to make a sort of thicker motion blur that would turn on in the case of a chase scene or other scary thing in Unknown in order to make the atmosphere more frantic. Would that be possible?
07-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Website Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70
RE: Motion blur

Something I've always wanted to see was object blurring based on how much motion blur is on it.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
07-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but Penumbra does have motion blur for individual objects based on how fast they move, if that's what you mean. I'm not really sure.
07-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Website Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

It's difficult to explain - basically a dof applied per object before the motion blur is applied (dof per object would be based on how fast the camera is moving)

It may not be noticeable though, or it might have some cool effects.

Please -REP me.
07-04-2009, 01:18 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

Thick amounts of motion blur is really cool, but you barely notice it in videogames today.
Take as an example Crysis: if you have motion blur enabled you won't notice any difference during regular gameplay, until you start making rapid turns or spin around a lot. However you do clearly notice if it is on or off when turning rapidly, or when taking a screenshot.
That's it's main use today.

I have noticed though that motion blur + lag makes an excellent combination, even though it would be preferrable if lag somehow could be removed from the equation. If you want a scene with much motion blur you'd have to make it some chase sequence or something where the player turns around and moves a lot, plus you'd have to make it a notch higher for the duration of the chase.

(07-03-2009, 11:12 PM)WindexGlow Wrote: Something I've always wanted to see was object blurring based on how much motion blur is on it.

Ok. I've read it a dozen times and I think I know what you are saying - but it doesn't make any sense and seems wrong in every way. Are you saying that "objects that have lots of motion blur on them (which means they are already blurred) should be blurred more"? Why?
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8816/74680873hc6.jpg
Those trees for example already have motion blur on them... and they are already blurred. What is it you'd like to see?

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
07-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

You can change the motion blur amount in one of the .cfg files in Penumbra. Smile

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
07-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

[Image: 21438544.jpg]
Example 1 - Each object is a supposed distance away from the camera, with different levels of guaassin blur to it.

[Image: 83814905.jpg]
In this picture, motion blur is applied to it, while not the same thing as game's motion blur it somewhat resembles it.

Here are some models I made for Kenshi a while back (scrapped due to crappiness)
[Image: 14738553.jpg]
Using different levels of guassin blur this time.

[Image: 81406667.jpg]
The effect is subtle, I like the one on the right much more than the one on the left. The one on the left is much clearer (more ideal for things in the center of the screen) while the object on the right would be better for objects far away from the center of the screen (periferable vision?)

Please -REP me.
07-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Find
Power_Infinity Offline

Threads: 1

I don't like motion blur. I always keep it off in all games I play. It just makes games needlessly blurry to me.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2009, 11:19 AM by iliaarpad.)
09-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Find
ajvitaly Offline

Threads: 12

I think motion blur is a great effect when used properly. To the original poster: it's time you upgrade that gpu! Penumbra runs great by today's standards of really, old hardware!
11-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

It does run perfectly on my computer. I was saying that if you found a way to lower your framerate, such as Fraps, that greatly increases the motion blur effect. However, I have recently found out how to lengthen the effect smoothly.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
11-13-2009, 01:37 AM
Website Find