Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

An important personal note to the FG guys
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13
RE: An important personal note to the FG guys

(07-26-2009, 01:35 AM)Lee Wrote: Strange, I believed Valve sucked for the quality of their games.

No, Valve are known for the great quality of their games. In fact they probably have the very highest game quality. Half Life, Half Life 2, Episode 2, Counter Strike, Team Fortress and so on.
Half Life 2 is pretty much the father of all modern FPS games having introduced realistic physics, believable ragdolls and all that plus lots of neat technical stuff that ever game has had since.

(07-26-2009, 03:36 AM)Fred Wrote: Left 4 Dead is already going to hell thanks to the user reputation/ranking system that never made it to prevent griefing, what makes you think people would buy Left 4 Dead as well when they see Left 4 Dead 2 on the store shelves?

Nothing, why? All I said is that Valve are already working on material for L4D1, so people who don't feel like getting L4D2 so shortly after getting the first one will still get more material.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
07-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Find
Fred
Unregistered

You can expect a great amount of the Left 4 Dead players to move on to Left 4 Dead 2. Not only that, Left 4 Dead will not receive much new players, because there is Left 4 Dead 2.

So even if they will release content, it wouldn't be really useful. That is why I dislike it, they should have just focused a 100% on Left 4 Dead and release Left 4 Dead 2 in 4 - 5 years when possibly the whole Source engine gets a big nice graphics update for the next Half-Life game after Episode 3.
07-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Next Half-Life game after Episode 3? What is that?

07-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Website Find
Fred
Unregistered

(07-26-2009, 05:40 PM)Scraper Wrote: Next Half-Life game after Episode 3? What is that?

Half-Life 3.
07-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(07-26-2009, 03:03 PM)Kedjane Wrote: No, Valve are known for the great quality of their games. In fact they probably have the very highest game quality. Half Life, Half Life 2, Episode 2, Counter Strike, Team Fortress and so on.
Half Life 2 is pretty much the father of all modern FPS games having introduced realistic physics, believable ragdolls and all that plus lots of neat technical stuff that ever game has had since.

So, Far Cry didn't have physics or ragdolls that owned the Source engine's weird sliding furniture or AI that owned Half-Life 2's AI that just stands there and fires at you with the occasional strafe.

Half-Life 2 had good animations that were detailed for the most part but the terrible (terrible) lighting let me down. The gameplay was nothing beyond walk, crouch, sprint, jump, shoot, and a bad driving mechanic, with the exception of the novelty of throwing boxes at enemies, which turns out to be far more damaging than multiple bullets lodged in an enemy's skull. The weapons are melee, pistol, automatic weapon, shotgun, sniper weapon, grenade, and RPG, all having existed before this game existed.

Half-Life is solid. It is immersive, but not revolutionary. Even not for 1998.

They are pioneers in nothing more than some game scripting.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
07-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Website Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(07-26-2009, 08:59 PM)Lee Wrote: Half-Life is solid. It is immersive, but not revolutionary. Even not for 1998.

They are pioneers in nothing more than some game scripting.

Half-Life is revolutionary in that it broke the stranglehold that id software had on the genre. Before Half-Life, everyone talked about Wolfenstein3d-clones, Doom-clones and Quake-clones. After Half-Life, everyone started using the term "FPS" instead.
07-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

That's kind of odd considering the backstories of Doom and Half-Life are almost exactly the same.

I will not say that Half-Life did not have new things that were introduced to an FPS, but I will say it was not the end-all-be-all, considering games constantly made improvements over it shortly after it. The designer of one of my favorite games, namely Raven Software's Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force, stated Half-Life as an inspiration to make the storyline coherent, but I find there was much more coherency than what Half-Life did.

07-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Website Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(07-26-2009, 10:22 PM)Lee Wrote: That's kind of odd considering the backstories of Doom and Half-Life are almost exactly the same.

I will not say that Half-Life did not have new things that were introduced to an FPS, but I will say it was not the end-all-be-all, considering games constantly made improvements over it shortly after it. The designer of one of my favorite games, namely Raven Software's Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force, stated Half-Life as an inspiration to make the storyline coherent, but I find there was much more coherency than what Half-Life did.

Well yeah, the stories are very similar. But Half-Life has a different presentation of the story, a different kind of storytelling (although I do agree that it is a bit lacking in some parts). And a totally different atmosphere.

As for improvements... well, the game called Sin, that came out at about the same time as Half-Life, had just about everything that Half-Life had, but no one remembers it. In my opinion it´s not just about good the story is or how fun it is to play, the game needs to be greater than the sum of it´s parts (oh, and it needs good marketing). In the case of Sin, it was brought down by small details (those killer rats and tedious underwater levels).

Then again, using Half-Life when you want to examine why a certain game is popular is a bad idea, since Half-Life is one of those special cases, those "blockbuster" games that are extremely popular even though they´re quite simple and old (Diablo 2 is another example).
07-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Find
Fred
Unregistered

Anyway to remain on topic, I hope you guys at Frictional Games would never consider a take over, remember that you have great products just not known by the public that well yet (and it's spreading) and just to maintain the care you're currently putting in the community. Smile
07-27-2009, 02:05 AM
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

I never played SiN, but from what I played from developer Ritual, namely Elite Force II, the sequel the the game I mentioned earlier, I don't want to. At all.

Anyway I don't have anything to add to this thread's actual topic.

07-27-2009, 03:28 AM
Website Find